Professor Lisa Nell Samuels
Ph.D. in English, University of Virginia; M.A. in English, University of Virginia; B.A. in English, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Breach (poetry). Boiler House Press, forthcoming 2021.
The Long White Cloud of Unknowing (prose poetry and photographs). Chax Press 2019.
Foreign Native (poetry). Black Radish 2018.
Editor. A Transpacific Poetics (anthology). Co-editor Sawako Nakayasu. Litmus Press 2017.
Symphony for Human Transport (poetry). Shearsman Books 2017.
Tender Girl (novel). Dusie Press 2015.
Over Hear: six types of poetry experiment in Aotearoa New Zealand (essay). Tinfish Press 2015.
Anti M (creative nonfiction). Chax Press 2013.
Wild Dialectics (poetry). Shearsman Books 2012.
Gender City (poetry). Shearsman Books 2011.
Mama Mortality Corridos (poetry & drawings). Holloway Press 2010.
Tomorrowland (poetry). Shearsman Books 2009.
Throe (poetry chapbook). Oystercatcher Press 2009.
The Invention of Culture (poetry). Shearsman Books 2008.
Increment /a family romance (poetry chapbook). Bronze Skull Press 2006.
Paradise for Everyone (poetry). Shearsman Books 2005.
War Holdings (poetry chapbook). Pavement Saw Press 2003.
Editor. Anarchism Is Not Enough. By Laura Riding. An annotated critical edition. University of California Press 2001.
The Seven Voices (poetry). O Books 1998.
Editor. Special Issue, “Poetry and the Problem of Beauty.” Modern Language Studies 27.2, 1997.
LETTERS (poetry chapbook). Meow Press 1996.
Research | Current
Poetry and poetics, experimental critical practice and literary theory, transnational innovative writing, multi-modal arts
Teaching | Current
ENGLISH 305 Modern Writing and Critical Thinking
ENGLISH 323 Contemporary Poetry
ENGLISH 343 Writing Poetry
ENGLISH 769 Representing Imagining
Current Doctoral Supervisions, PhD and Phd with Creative Practice (PhD CP)
Katea Duff, PhD CP, thesis to be lodged September 2020, sole supervisor
John Adams, PhD, thesis to be lodged November 2020, sole supervisor
Nisha Ghatak, PhD enrolled February 2018 50/50% co-supervision
Brianna Vincent, PhD enrolled August 2019, 50/50% co-supervision
Tristan Verran, PhD CP enrolled February 2020, 50/50% co-supervision
Michael Whittaker, PhD enrolled July 2020, sole supervisor
Melanie Rodriga [Read], assumed supervision in March 2020
Jemma Dixon, enrolled July 2020
40% research, 40% teaching, and 20% service
Areas of expertise
Poetry and poetics, experimental critical practice and literary theory, literary modernism, contemporary innovative writing, digital arts theory, transcultural creative writing
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Samuels, L. (2017). Bioautography and Carolee Schneemann's VULVA’S MORPHIA. Chicago Review, 60 (4), 154-174.
- Samuels, L. N., & Tank, W. C. (5/11/2017). Tomorrowland [Film], Milwaukee Screening, Milwaukee USA.
- Samuels, L., & Nakayasu, S. (Eds.) (2017). A Transpacific Poetics (1st). USA: Litmus Press. Pages: 200. Related URL.
- Samuels, L. (2017). Symphony for Human Transport. Pages: 76. Related URL.
- Samuels, L. (2015). Tender Girl A Novel. Pages: 198.
- Samuels, L. (2015). Over hear: Six types of poetry experiment in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Kāne'ohe, HI: Tinfish Press. Pages: 45.
- Samuels, L. (2013). Anti M. USA: Chax Press. Pages: 122.
- Samuels, L. (2012). Wild dialectics. UK: Shearsman Books. Pages: 82.