Associate Professor Lisa Kaaren Bailey
MA (Auckland) PhD (Princeton)
- Associate Professor in History and in Classics and Ancient History
Research | Current
The Religious Worlds of the Laity in Late Antique Gaul, Bloomsbury, London, 2016.
Christianity’s Quiet Success: The Eusebius Gallicanus Sermon Collection and the Power of the Church
in Late Antique Gaul, University of Notre Dame Press, South Bend, IN, 2010.
Old Worlds, New Worlds: European Cultural Encounters c. 1000-c.1750, edited by Lisa Bailey,
Lindsay Diggelmann and Kim M. Phillips, Brepols, Turnhout, 2009.
Articles and chapters:
‘Servants of God?: Servi in the letters of Gregory the Great’, Journal of the Australian Early
Medieval Association 17.1 (2021), pp. 25-41.
‘Liturgy and the laity’, Oxford Handbook of the Merovingian World, ed. B. Effros and I.
Moreira, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2020, pp. 1031-1049.
‘Sidonius and religion’, The Edinburgh Companion to Sidonius Apollinaris, ed. J. Van
Waarden and G. Kelly, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, 2020, pp. 261-
‘‘The innocence of the dead crowned you, the glory of the triumphant crowned me’: The
strange rivalry between Bethlehem and Lyon in Eusebius Gallicanus sermon 11’,
Urban Interactions: Communication and Competition in Late Antiquity and the Early
Middle Ages, ed. M.J. Kelly and M. Burrows, Gracchi Books, Binghamton, NY,
2020, pp. 45-66.
‘Leadership and community in late antique Poitiers’, Leadership and Community in Late
Antiquity: Essays in Honour of Raymond Van Dam, ed. Y. Richard Kim and A.E.T.
McLaughlin, Brepols, Turnhout, 2020, pp. 67-62.
‘Handmaids of God: Images of service in the Lives of Merovingian female saints’,
Journal of Religious History 43.3 (2019), pp. 359-379.
‘Preaching in fifth-century Gaul: Valerian of Cimiez and the Eusebius Gallicanus
collection’, Preaching in the Patristic Era: Sermons, Preachers, and Audiences in the Latin
West, ed. A. Dupont, S. Boodts, G. Partoens and J. Leemans, Brill, Leiden, 2018,
‘Scripture in the sermons of Caesarius of Arles’, Early Medieval Europe 26 (2018), pp. 42-
‘The strange case of the portable altar: Liturgy and the limits of episcopal authority in
early medieval Gaul’, Journal of the Australian Early Medieval Association 8 (2012), pp.
‘Within and without: Lay people and the church in Gregory of Tours’ miracle stories’,
Journal of Late Antiquity 5 (2012), pp. 119-44.
‘“Our own most severe judges”: The power of penance in the Eusebius Gallicanus
sermons’, in The Power of Religion in Late Antiquity, edited by Andrew
Cain and Noel Lenski, Ashgate, Burlington, VT, 2009, pp. 201-211.
‘“No use crying over spilt milk: The challenge of preaching God’s justice in fifth- and
sixth-century Gaul’, Journal of the Australian Early Medieval Association 4 (2008), pp.
‘“These are not men”: Sex and drink in the sermons of Caesarius of Arles’, Journal of
Early Christian Studies 15 (2007), pp. 23-43.
‘Monks and lay communities in late antique Gaul: The evidence of the Eusebius Gallicanus sermons’, Journal of Medieval History 32 (2006), pp. 315-332.
‘Building urban Christian communities: Sermons on local saints in the Eusebius
Gallicanus collection’, Early Medieval Europe 12 (2003), pp. 1-24.
Teaching | Current
ANCHIST 110 Dynasties, Democracy, Empire
HISTORY 239 Medieval Cultures: Faith, Power, Identities
Topics available to supervise
- Late antiquity and early middle ages, especially religious and cultural history
- Saints, relics and miracles; religious conflicts
- ‘Barbarian’ cultures in Western Europe, early Byzantium
- The end/ transformation of the Roman empire
- Lay culture and religious experiences
- Royal Society of New Zealand Marsden Grant 2017
- Royal Society of New Zealand Marsden Fast-Start Grant 2008
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Bailey, L. K. (2020). Liturgy and the Laity. In B. Effros, I. Moreira (Eds.) The Oxford handbook of the Merovingian world (pp. 1031-1049). New York, USA: Oxford University Press. 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780190234188.013.2
- Bailey, L. K. (2020). Sidonius and religion. In G. Kelly, J. Van Waarden (Eds.) The Edinburgh Companion to Sidonius Apollinaris (pp. 261-275). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. Related URL.
- Bailey, L. K. (2020). Leadership and Community in Late Antique Poitiers. In Y. R. Kim, A. E. T. McLaughlin (Eds.) Leadership and Community in Late Antiquity: Essays in Honour of Raymond Van Dam (pp. 47-62). Turnhout: Brepols. 10.1484/M.CELAMA-EB.5.118157
- Bailey, L. K. (2019). Handmaids of God: Images of Service in the Lives of Merovingian Female Saints. JOURNAL OF RELIGIOUS HISTORY, 43 (3), 359-379. 10.1111/1467-9809.12612
- Bailey, L. (2018). Preaching in fifth-century Gaul. Valerian of Cimiez and the Eusebius Gallicanus collection. In A. Dupont, S. Boodts, G. Partoens, J. Leemans (Eds.) Preaching in the Patristic Era: Sermons, Preachers and Audiences in the Latin West (pp. 253-273). Leiden: Brill. 10.1163/9789004363564_014
- Bailey, L. K. (2018). Scripture in the sermons of Caesarius of Arles. Early Medieval Europe, 26 (1), 42-60. 10.1111/emed.12247
- Bailey, L. K. (2016). Religious Worlds of the Laity in Late Antique Gaul (1st). Bloomsbury Publishing. Related URL.
- Bailey, L. K. (2012). The strange case of the portable altar: Liturgy and the limits of episcopal authority in early medieval Gaul. Journal of the Australian Early Medieval Association, 8, 31-51. Related URL.
- Media Contact
Primary office location
ARTS 1 - Bldg 206
Level 8, Room 808
14A SYMONDS ST