Professor John Gordon Hosking
John is Acting DVC Strategic Engagement. His substantive role is Dean of Science and immediately prior he was Dean of Engineering and Computer Science at the Australian National University. Before that he was Professor of Applied Computer Science in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Auckland, including a six year term as Head of Department between 1999 and 2005.
John's research career has been in Software Engineering, with over 200 publications in his area of expertise and a long history of University-industry research engagement.
He has been awarded both an FRSNZ, in recognition of his research activities and a National Tertiary Teaching Excellence award, reflecting his passion for teaching.
Research | Current
John has fairly eclectic research interests covering many areas associated with the design and development of software systems and collaborates closely with John Grundy (Swinburne). He has particular interests in:
- visual languages and environments
- metatools for multi-view multi-notation design tools
- software engineering environments and methodologies
- software process technology
- software architecture
- component-based systems
- aspect-oriented software engineering
- adaptive, multi-device user interfaces
- visual wikis
- Fellow, Royal Society of New Zealand (since 2010)
- National Tertiary Teaching Excellence Award for Sustained Excellence (2008)
- University of Auckland distiniguished Teaching Award for Research Supervision (2007)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lai, P., He, Q., Cui, G., Xia, X., Abdelrazek, M., Chen, F., ... Yang, Y. (2020). QoE-aware user allocation in edge computing systems with dynamic QoS. FUTURE GENERATION COMPUTER SYSTEMS-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ESCIENCE, 112, 684-694. 10.1016/j.future.2020.06.029
- Khalajzadeh, H., Simmons, A. J., Abdelrazek, M., Grundy, J., Hosking, J., & He, Q. (2020). An end-to-end model-based approach to support big data analytics development. JOURNAL OF COMPUTER LANGUAGES, 5810.1016/j.cola.2020.100964
- Khalajzadeh, H., Simmon, A. J., Abdelrazek, M., Grundy, J., Hosking, J., & He, Q. (2020). Visual languages for supporting big data analytics development. ENASE 2020 - Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering.
- Su, M. T., Grundy, J., Hosking, J., & Tempero, E. (2019). Leveraging usage data of software architecture artefacts. Proceedings - 2019 IEEE/ACM 2nd International Workshop on Establishing a Community-Wide Infrastructure for Architecture-Based Software Engineering, ECASE 2019. 10.1109/ECASE.2019.00011
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ewan Tempero
- Khalajzadeh, H., Abdelrazek, M., Grundy, J., Hosking, J. G., & He, Q. (2019). BiDaML: A Suite of Visual Languages for Supporting End-user Data Analytics. Paper presented at IEEE International Congress on Internet of Things (IEEE ICIOT) / IEEE International Congress on Big Data (IEEE BigData Congress) held as part of IEEE World Congress on Services (IEEE SERVICES), Milan, ITALY. 8 July - 13 July 2019. 2019 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON BIG DATA (IEEE BIGDATA CONGRESS 2019). (pp. 5). 10.1109/BigDataCongress.2019.00025
- Lai, P., He, Q., Cui, G., Xia, X., Abdelrazek, M., Chen, F., ... Yang, Y. (2019). Edge User Allocation with Dynamic Quality of Service. CoRR, abs/1907.11580.
- Lai, P., He, Q., Cui, G., Xia, X., Abdelrazek, M., Chen, F., ... Yang, Y. (2019). Edge User Allocation with Dynamic Quality of Service. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-030-33702-5_8
- Callagher, L., Smith, P., Krull, E., & Hosking, J. (2018). Interdisciplinary learning, liminal spaces, and boundary object affordances of technology road mapping. Paper presented at EURAM - Research in Action – Accelerating knowledge creation in management, Reykjavik, Iceland. 19 June - 22 June 2018. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Callagher, Peter Smith
- Media Contact
Primary office location
THE CLOCKTOWER - SOUTH WING - Bldg 105S
Level 2, Room 230
22 PRINCES ST