Dr Anne Mackay
BA, MA (Canterbury), PhD (Wellington)
2019-...: Honorary Research Fellow in Classics and Ancient History, University of Auckland, New Zealand
2001-2018: Associate Professor of Classics, University of Auckland, New Zealand
1990-2001: Professorial Chair of Classics, University of Natal, Durban, South Africa
1984-1990: Senior Lecturer in Classics, University of Natal, Durban, South Africa
1978-1984: Lecturer in Classics, University of Natal, Durban, South Africa
1974-1977: Junior Lecturer in Classics, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Research | Current
- The Attic black-figure vase-painting tradition
- Early Greek oral-traditional epic
- Narrative strategies in ancient Greek vase-painting and early epic
- Representations of mythological narrative in early Greek art
Work in progress
An investigation of inscriptions on Greek vases: the various categories and their likely signification for ancient viewers.
Current doctoral supervision topic
Investigation of Etruscan reception of imported Attic black-figure vases
Areas of expertise
- Archaic Greek Art, especially Attic black-figure pottery
- Early Greek Oral Tradition, especially Homeric epic; oral theory
- Greek Tragedy
- Greek Mythology
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mackay, A. (2016). Heavenly infidelity. Boating New Zealand, 72-77.
- Mackay, A. (2016). Industrial religion: The saucer pyres of the Athenian Agora. By Susan I. Rotroff [Book review]. Mouseion: Journal of the Classical Association of Canada, 13 (2), 460-463.
- Mackay, A., & Kelly, R. (2016). Fragment of rim from a louterion or perirrhanterion. In R. T. Ridley, B. Marshall, K. Morrell (Eds.) Fifty treasures: Classical antiquities in Australian and New Zealand universities (pp. 39-41). Melbourne, Australia: The Australasian Society for Classical Studies.
- Mackay, E. A. (2016). Exekias & Co. Evidence of Cooperative Work in the Workshop of Exekias, Group E and their Associates. In N. Eschbach, S. Schmidt (Eds.) TÖPFER MALER WERKSTATT. Zuschreibungen in der griechischen Vasenmalerei und die Organisation antiker Keramikproduktion (Beihefte zum Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum, Band VII) (pp. 87-95). Munich, Germany: C.H. Beck.
- Mackay, E. A. (2016). The baneful hedgehog of ancient Greece. In Landgráfová R, Mynářová J (Eds.) Rich and great: Studies in honour of Anthony J. Spalinger on the occasion of his 70th feast of thoth (pp. 233-237). Prague, Czech: Charles University, Faculty of Arts.
- Mackay, E. A. (Ed.) (2011). ASCS 32 Selected Proceedings (2011). The Selected Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Conference of the Australasian Society for Classical Studies. ASCS Website, Australia: Online publication.
- Mackay, E. A. (2011). Review of Stephen R. Wilk, Medusa. Solving the Mystery of the Gorgon. The CLASSICAL REVIEW, 61 (1), 184-186. 10.1017/S0009840X10002465
- Mackay, E. A. (2010). Distorted Ideals in Greek Vase-Painting: The World of Mythological Burlesque by David Walsh [Review]. Hermathena, Summer 2010, issue 188, p. 102-106 (188), 102-106. Related URL.
- Media Contact
Classics and Ancient History, School of Humanities, Faculty of Arts
Building 206, Room 822
University of Auckland