Dr Daniela Cavallaro
Diploma de Estudios Hispanicos (Univ. de Salamanca) , Laurea (Univ. di Roma) , MA (Ohio State Univ.) , PhD (Northwestern University)
Daniela Cavallaro joined the Italian Department in 1997 after teaching Italian and Humanities at the University of Puerto Rico and at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She has published in the fields of 20th century Italian novel, Spanish and Italian women's theatre, Italian cinema, and South Pacific literature. She is currently researching works by modern Italian women playwrights.
Research | Current
- Contemporary Italian fiction and drama
- Rewriting of classical literature
- Women’s theatre
Teaching | Current
ITALIAN 300 Advanced Italian Language
ITALIAN 211/312 Italy on Screen
ITALIAN 201 Intermediate Italian Language 2
I welcome enquiries from prospective students who are interested in topics related to my general research interests: contemporary Italian fiction and drama; Italian women writers (women playwrights, in particular); revision of classical literature; adaptation.
Major / Specialization Leader, Italian
Undergraduate advisor for Italian
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Cavallaro, D. (2019). Alla ricerca delle drammaturghe perdute [In search of lost playwrights]. Itinera - rivista di filosofia e di teoria delle Arti (18) Related URL.
- Cavallaro, D. (2019). Go and Sin No More: The Afterlife as Moral Teaching in Italian Catholic Educational Theatre. RELIGIONS, 10 (9)10.3390/rel10090517
- Cavallaro, D. (2019). After Filumena: Illegitimacy and Paternity in 1950s' Italian Women's Theatre. ITALIAN STUDIES, 74 (3), 288-302. 10.1080/00751634.2019.1623521
- Cavallaro, D. (2018). Who says you can’t be a saint? Female saints as heroes on the Italian catholic stage. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 58 (4), 444-459. 10.1177/0022167817722272
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). Hurried steps: Passi affrettati nei paesi di lingua inglese (Hurried steps in English-speaking countries). In M. Bertone, B. Meazzi (Eds.) Curiosa di mestiere. Saggi su Dacia Maraini (Curious by profession: Essays on Dacia Maraini) (pp. 141-152). Pisa, Italy: Edizioni ETS.
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). Educational theatre for women in post-World War II Italy: A stage of their own. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan. Pages: 265. 10.1057/978-1-349-95096-6
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). From fairy tale to hysteria: Women in Italian theater in the early 1950s. In V. Picchietti, L. A. Salsini (Eds.) Writing and performing female identity in Italian culture (pp. 127-151). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International. 10.1007/978-3-319-40835-4_7
- Cavallaro, D. (2016). Female detectives in 1950s Salesian educational theatre. Quaderni d'Italianistica, 37 (1), 35-54.
Primary office location
ARTS 2 - Bldg 207
Level 5, Room 513
18 SYMONDS ST