Faculty of Arts
Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MTESOL)
The MTESOL is comparable to an MA in Tesol. It is a taught masters designed for students who have experience of teaching English as a second or foreign language.
This specialist masters degree is comparable to an MA in TESOL. It is particularly suitable for practising teachers who are not able to attend classes on campus. From 2013 the MTESOL can be taken either by distance, or on campus, or in a combination of these two modes.
The MTESOL is designed for applicants with experience of teaching English as a second or foreign language, and gives teachers a strong academic grounding in the field. MTESOL courses provide a structured learning environment while also allowing you to follow your own interests.
From 2013 you can take the MTESOL either by distance, or on campus, or in a combination of these two modes.
MTESOL courses provide a structured learning environment while also allowing you to follow your own interests. We offer small classes with online discussion forums and regular feedback.
By the end of the programme you should be be able to:
- prepare and assess teaching materials
- plan a programme of language study
- account for individual differences and learning difficulties
- monitor and evaluate learners’ progress
- advise teachers on effective procedures and interventions
- explore and evaluate language learning and teaching in its social context
- evaluate research and theory of classroom practice in language teaching.
Applicants must have:
- a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) or equivalent in a relevant subject; or
- a Bachelor of Arts or equivalent with a major in a relevant subject and a professional qualification in teaching equivalent to one year’s advanced study;
- and at least two years’ relevant professional experience
- a Bachelor of Arts or equivalent with a major in a relevant subject; and
- at least three years’ relevant professional experience.
The following requirements also apply:
- applicants must have passed a course in the description of the English language (such as LANGTCHG 740 Language Analysis for Teachers);
- applicants must have achieved the standard of IELTS (Academic) 6.5 or equivalent; students who have not completed two years of full-time study in an English medium institution will be required to provide an IELTS score or equivalent.
Admission to and completion of this programme does not meet New Zealand teacher registration requirements.
Consult the MTESOL schedule for how to structure your study and for the courses you may take.