Resources and facilities
German Research Library
The German Research Library is situated in Room 8 Basement, Building 214, 5 Wynyard Street. If you wish to use the library, please see the SELL office for the key.
The European Languages and Literatures Subject Librarian
The European Languages and Literatures Subject Librarian offers the following services to graduate students and staff:
- course-related seminars on library services and resources relevant to SELL students.
- one-to-one training in managing citations and bibliographies in your work.
- individual consultations to assist you with the identification and effective use of resources relevant to your course and research work.
The Slavonic Seminar is a forum on Russia and Eastern Europe for members of the University community. Seminars take place three or four times a semester, usually at 1pm on Mondays. We encourage all Russian students to attend these seminars.
Russian Film Series
Russian sponsors several film demonstrations each year that are free and open to the public. The series features both classic and contemporary examples of cinema from Russia and the former republics of the Soviet Union. Some films are shown in the original Russian but most have subtitles.
Auckland Goethe Society
The Auckland Goethe Society is an independent organisation promoting German culture and German studies. All students of German are cordially invited to participate in the activities of the Goethe Society and attend its frequent meetings. These meetings, which offer you an opportunity to meet native speakers of German, include social occasions, talks in either German or English and film screenings.
German Drama Company
Every year the German Drama Company stages a theatrical production at the Studio Theatre in the Maidment Arts Centre. Participating in these productions offers you the opportunity to develop confidence in your spoken German.
In recent years, students of the Department have produced and directed as well as acted in:
- Schnitzler's Reigen (2000)
- Rainer Hachfeld's Eins auf die Fresse (2001)
- Friedrich Dürrenmatt's Die Physiker (2002)
- Friedrich Dürrenmatt's Romulus der Große (2003)
- Martin Walser's translation of E. Albee's Die Ziege oder wer ist Sylvia (2004)
- Max Frisch's Biografie: Ein Spiel (2005)
- Erich Kästner's Das fliegende Klassenzimmer (2006)
- Ina Nicolai's Der Besuch aus Büsum (2007)
- Wilfried Schroeder's stage adaptation of Heinrich Spoerl's Die Feuerzangenbowle (2008)
- Max Frisch's 1953 comedy Don Juan: oder die Liebe zur Geometrie (2009)
- Ödön von Horváth's Geschichten aus dem Wiener Wald (2010)
- Nick Whitby's Sein oder Nichtsein (2011)
- Currywurst mit Pommes by Frank Pinkus and Nick Walsh (2012)