Dr Xuelin Zhou
- MA in Literature from Guangzhou Institute of Foreign Languages (1986); MA in Modern British Studies from University of Warwick (1991); PhD in Film Studies from University of Auckland (2003)
To screen new heroes: a study of Chinese "youth problem" films
Research | Current
- Chinese genre films
I am currently working on a project exploring the form and the content of some prominent genres in the Chinese-language cinemas. My recent research interests include how a youth culture is represented in the films of Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China.
Teaching | Current
MEDIA 101 Film Studies
MEDIA 202 Hollywood and its Others
MEDIA 205 Screening Hong Kong
MEDIA 221 Action Film
MEDIA 307 Hollywood and its Others
MEDIA 308 Screening Hong Kong
MEDIA 315 Action Film
MEDIA 743 Chinese Film Genres
The topics of my recent doctoral supervision include interaction of early Chinese cinema with Hollywood, realism in contemporary Chinese cinema and Chinese cyberculture.
Areas of expertise
film studies, Chinese-language film, youth culture
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Zhou, X., & Chen, X. (2018). 关于类型电影与艺术电影的对话 [A dialogue on genre film and art film]. 北京电影学院学报 [Journal of Beijing Film Academy], 2018 (2), 28-35.
- Zhou, X. (2017). Chinese youth in Chinese film. China Policy Institute: Analysis: The online journal of the China Policy Institute, 2017 (7).
- Zhou, X. (2017). Globalization and contemporary Chinese cinema: Zhang Yimou's genre films. Singapore: Palgrave Macmillan. Pages: 138. 10.1007/978-981-10-4328-4
- Zhou, X. (2017). Youth Culture in Chinese Language Film Introduction. ROUTLEDGE. Pages: 36.
- Zhou, X. (2017). Youth Culture in Chinese Language Film Conclusion. ROUTLEDGE. Pages: 11.
- Zhou, X. (2017). Youth culture in Chinese language film. London, UK: Routledge. Pages: 206. 10.4324/978131559124
- Zhou, X. (2016). Genre, war, ideology: Anti-Japanese war films in Taiwan and mainland China. Chinese Studies in History, 49 (4), 232-247. 10.1080/00094633.2015.1214514
- Zhou, X. (2016). The instrumentalisation of action: martial arts, cultural revolution, and youth rebellion. Paper presented at The Cultural Revolution Today: Literature, Film, and Cultural Debates, The University of Hong Kong. 2 June - 3 June 2016. Related URL.
- Media Contact
1-3 pm Monday
Primary office location
HSB - EAST - Bldg 201E
Level 5, Room 518
10 SYMONDS ST