Associate Professor Martin Wilkinson
MA, DPhil (Oxon)
- Associate Professor
Martin Wilkinson has undergraduate and doctoral degrees from Oxford University. He worked in the Department of Political Studies from 1993-2002 and returned in 2009 after several years working in the medical school. In recent years he has worked on ethics in organ transplantation and public health ethics. His book Ethics and the Acquisiiton of Organs (Oxford University Press, 2011: pbk 2015) has been described in reviews as `slim, rigorous and entertaining' (Journal of Applied Philosophy) and `a first-rate work of philosophy, independent of sub-field' Res Publica. He is Deputy Chair of the National Ethics Advisory Committee and was Chair of the Bioethics Council.
Research | Current
- Transplantation and the politics, philosophy and economics of health.
Ethics and policy on organ transplantation, public health ethics, allocation of health care resources, paternalism.
Teaching | Current
POLITICS 249 Freedom and Limits of State Action
POLITICS 316 Capitalism and its Critics
POLITICS 741 Ethics and Health Policy
Martin supervises at all levels on a range of topics, including organ transplantation, equity in health, justice in the labour market, the ethics of public health interventions, paternalism, and the liberal state. He is happy to talk to prospective research students about their research ideas.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Wilkinson, T. M. (2014). Respect for the dead and the ethics of anatomy. Clinical Anatomy, 27 (3), 286-290. 10.1002/ca.22263
- Wilkinson, T. M. (2014). Getting consent into perspective. Clinical Anatomy, 27 (6), 844-846.
- Wilkinson, T. M. (2013). Nudging and manipulation. Political Studies, 61 (2), 341-355. 10.1111/j.1467-9248.2012.00974.x
- Wilkinson, T. M. (2013). Thinking harder about nudges. Journal of Medical Ethics, 39 (8), 486-486. 10.1136/medethics-2013-101687
- Wilkinson, T. M. (2012). Consent and the use of the bodies of the dead. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy (United Kingdom), 37 (5), 445-463. 10.1093/jmp/jhs041
- Wilkinson, T. M. (2012). Opt Out Organ Procurement and Tacit Consent. Journal of Medical Ethics, 38, 69-72.
- Wilkinson, T. M. (2012). Nudging and Manipulation. Political Studies. 10.1111/j.1467-9248.2012.00974.x
- Wilkinson, T. M., & Wilkinson, S. (2011). The Donation of Human Organs. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Winter.