Dr Rumi Sakamoto
BA (Tsuda), MA, PhD (Essex)
- Senior Lecturer in Japanese Studies
Research | Current
- Nationalism in post-1990s Japan
- War memory and identity in popular culture and media
- Kamikaze pilots and SDF in Japanese popular culture and media
- Affect and emotion in politics of reconciliation between Japan and South Korea/China
Teaching | Current
ASIAN 100 Images of Asia (guest lecture)
ASIAN 140 Asia and New Zealnd (guest lecture)
ASIAN 200 Asian Identities (guest lecture)
ASIAN 701 East Asia: Civilisation, Tradition and Globalisation
JAPANESE 150 Exploring Japan
JAPANESE 241 Japanese Popular Culture since 1945
I offer postgraduate supervision in the areas of Japanese nationalism and national/cultural identity, as well as Japan's war memory and popular culture-related topics.
Discipline convenor, Asian Studies, Chinese, Japanese, Korean
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sakamoto, R. (2017). Remembering Korean Kamikaze pilots in Japanese films. Paper presented at New Zealand Asia Institute conference: Popular culture, war memory and reconciliation between South Korea and Japan, Auckland, New Zealand. 12 August - 13 August 2017.
- Sakamoto, R. (2016). Popular Culture and Historical Memories of War in Asia. In K. Iwabuchi, C. Berry, E. Tsai (Eds.) Routledge handbook of East Asian popular culture. London and New York: Routledge.
- Sakamoto, R. (2016). Kobayashi Yoshinori, 3.11, and Datsu Genpatsu Ron. In M. Mullins, K. Nakano (Eds.) Disasters and Social Crisis in Contemporary Japan: Political, Religious, and Sociocultural Responses (pp. 269-287). USA and Australia: Palgrave. 10.1057/9781137521323_12
- Sakamoto, R. (2015). Mobilizing Affect for Collective War Memory: Kamikaze images in Yūshūkan. Cultural Studies, 29 (2), 158-184. 10.1080/09502386.2014.890235
- Allen, M., & Sakamoto, R. (Eds.) (2014). Japanese Popular Culture. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Allen, M., & Sakamoto, R. (2014). Confusing the Okinawan Memoryscape: The organic memorialisation of the Battle of Okinawa. http://www.warinasia.com/new-page-3/. Related URL.
- Allen, M., & Sakamoto, R. (2013). War and Peace: War Memories and Museums in in Japan. History Compass, 11 (12), 1047-1058. 10.1111/hic3.12108
- Allen, M., & Sakamoto, R. (2011). White People Can’t Sell Sushi: Unpacking Korean Influence over Sushi Production in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies, 13 (2), 18-35.
Tue 12-2 (please make an appointment during the break).
Primary office location
ARTS 2 - Bldg 207
Level 4, Room 435
18 SYMONDS ST