Distinguished Professor Roderick James Ellis
MA (Leeds), MEd (Bristol), PhD (London)
Second language acquisition, individual learner differences, form-focussed instruction, teacher education, course design and methodology of language teaching.
In addition to my position in the Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics in University of Auckland,I also contribute to work in the MA in TESOL program in Anaheim University and I am a visiting professor at Shanghai International Studies University (SISU) as part of China’s Chang Jiang Scholars Program. I also hold an annual seminar at Showa Women's University, Tokyo, Japan.
My published works include articles and books on second language acquisition, language teaching and teacher education.My books include Understanding Second Language Acquisition (BAAL Prize 1986) and The Study of Second Language Acquisition (Duke of Edinburgh prize 1995),Task-Based Learning and Teaching early (2003), and Analyzing Learner Language (with Gary Barkhuizen) in (2005). A second edition of The Study of Second Language Acquisition was published in 2008 and Implicit and Explicit Knowledge in Language Learning, Testing and Teachingin 2009. Recent publications include Language Teaching Research and Language Pedagogy (Wiley-Blackwell) and Exploring Language Pedagogy through Second Language Acqusition Research (Routledge; with Natsuko Shintani). I have also published several English language textbooks, including Impact Grammar (Pearson: Longman). I am currently on the editorial board of five journals. A second edition of Understanding Second Language Acquisition (Oxford University Press) was published in 2015.
I was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand in 2013.
In addition to my current position in New Zealand, I have worked in schools in Spain and Zambia and in universities in the United Kingdom, Japan and the United States. I have also conducted numerous consultancies and seminars throughout the world.
Research | Current
1. Understanding Second Language Acquisition
Published March 2015
Complementary contributions of meta-analysis and narratiuve reviews for a special issue of the journal Applied Linguistics
Order and sequence in second language acquisition for special issue of the journal Language Learning
4, Co-editing special issue on complementary nature of narrative and meta-analytic research synthesis for special issue of Applied Linguistics
Teaching | Current
LANGTCHG 402 Linking Theory and Practice in the Language Classroom
LANGTCHG 710 Task-based Language Teaching
LANGTCHG 732 Applied Linguistics Research
LANGTCHG 743 Second Language Acquisition
I currently teach on postgraduate courses on:
- Second language Acquisition
- Task-based language teaching and learning
- Second language Classroom Research
- Methods of Applied Linguistic research
Second language acquisition
- Individual learner differences
- Form-focussed instruction
- Teacher education
- Course design and methodology of language teaching
- Task-based language teaching
On editorial board of five journals. Currently supervising 10 PhD students
Areas of expertise
Second language acquisition research; language teacher education; task-based language teaching
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Shintani, N., & Ellis, R. (2014). Language analytical ability: What role does it play in L2 learners’ use of written feedback?. Paper presented at AILA World Congress 2014, Brisbane, Australia. 10 August - 15 August 2014.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Natsuko Shintani
- Ellis, R. J. (2012). A lifetime of grammar teaching. Teaching English in the Two-Year College, 40 (1), 7-19.
- Ellis, R. J. (2012). An options-based approach to doing task-based language teaching. In M. Eisenmann, T. Summer (Eds.) Basic Issues in EFL Teaching and Learning (pp. 17-30). Heidelberg: Winter.
- Ellis, R. J. (2012). Task-Based Language Teaching in Asian Primary Schools: Policy, Problems and Opportunities. In H. Pillay, M. Yeo (Eds.) Teaching Language to Learners of Different Age Groups (pp. 74-91). Singapore: SEAMEO Regional Language Centre.
- Ellis, R. (2012). Editorial. Language Teaching Research, 16 (1), 7-8. 10.1177/1362168811423338
- Ellis, R. J. (2012). Language Teaching Research and Language Pedagogy. Malden, Mass., USA: Wiley Blackwell.
- Ellis, R. (2011). Editorial. Language Teaching Research, 15 (4), 389-390. 10.1177/1362168811412018
- Ellis, R. (2011). Editorial. Language Teaching Research, 15 (2), 133-135. 10.1177/1362168810388691