Dr Tiopira Porutu Keith McDowell
Ko Motatau te maunga, ko Taikirau te awa, ko Manu Koroki te whare, ko Ngāti Hine te hapū, ko Ngāpuhi te iwi, ko Kawiti te tangata. Tiopira McDowell is a lecturer, course convenor and researcher at Te Wānanga o Waipapa - Māori Studies at the University of Auckland. Tiopira McDowell completed his undergraduate and post-graduate studies in Māori history, Māori studies and Te Reo me ona tikanga at the University of Auckland, graduating with a PhD in History in May 2014. Tiopira's MA thesis researched the history of modern Māori activism 1968-1978. His PhD investigated Māori enagement with the state via the Māori seats in Parliament, 1868-2008. He is currently convening the stage one course Māori 130 / 130G: Te Ao Māori the Māori World and teaching his own stage three course Māori 330: Te Ao Hou - Contemporary Māori Issues.
Research | Current
- Māori history
- Māori political engagement with the state and the Māori seats in parliament
- Māori political movements
- Māori leadership
- Māori activism
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the Treaty of Waitangi 1840
- Treaty settlements
- Māori fresh water rights
Teaching | Current
MĀORI 130/130G Te Ao Māori: The Māori World.
MĀORI 330 Te Ao Hou: Contemporary Māori Issues.
Lecturer, Course Convenor, Māori 130 / 130 G - Te Ao Māori: The Māori World; Guest Lecturer, Māori 230 - Te Ao Hurihuri; Lecturer, Course Convenor, Māori 330: Te Ao Hou - Contemporary Māori Issues.
Areas of expertise
Māori history, Māori political engagement with the state and the Māori seats in parliament, Māori political movements, Māori leadership, Māori activism, Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the Treaty of Waitangi 1840, Treaty settlements, Māori fresh water rights.
Faculty of Arts Equity Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- McDowell, T. P. (2016). Screaming from the shadows: Māori views on the treaty claims settlement process. Te Pouhere Kōrero Journal, 8, 26-47. Related URL.
- McDowell, T. P. (2016). ‘The Quid Pro Quo’: Why did the Crown decide to settle Māori historical treaty claims?. Paper presented at He Rau Tumu Kōrero IX, Te Rau Aroha Marae, Bluff. 27 June - 29 November 2016.
- McDowell, T. (2016). Ko Te Whenua te Utu-Land is the price: Essays on Maori history, land and politics. Journal of the Polynesian Society, 125 (1), 75-77. Related URL.
- McDowell, T. P. (2015). ‘The wrong Crown, under the wrong treaty, with the wrong Māori people’: Claimant views on the treaty claims settlement process. Paper presented at Te Pouhere Kōrero Annual Symposium 2015, Department of Indigenous Studies, Macquarie University, Sydney Australia. 25 June - 26 June 2015. Related URL.
- McDowell, T. P. (2015). ‘Ka hoki a Kupe?’ The political career of Matiu Rata, 1963–1979. The New Zealand journal of history, 49 (1), 105-125. Related URL.
- McDowell, T. P. (2015). Taua Nākahi nui: Māori, liquor and land loss in the 19th century. AlterNative: An International Journal of Indigenous Scholarship, 11 (2), 103-117. Related URL.
- McDowell, T. P. (2014). Tāua Nākahi Nui: Māori, Alcohol and Land. Paper presented at Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga International Indigenous Development Research Conference, University of Auckland. 25 November - 28 November 2014. Related URL.
- McDowell, T. P. (2014). Ka hoki a Kupe? The Political Career of Matiu Rata, MP for Northern Māori 1963-1979. Paper presented at Indigenous voices: Our People, Our Kōrero, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. 1 July - 2 July 2014.