Associate Professor Selina Tusitala Marsh
PhD, MA (Auckland)
NZ Society of Authors Waitangi Honorary Literary Fellow 2017
Commonwealth Poet 2016
London Literary Death Match Winner 2015
Research | Current
- Pasifika literature, particularly Pasifika women writers
- Global indigenous literatures
Teaching | Current
ENGLISH 204 Pacific Literature in English
ENGLISH 252 Introduction to Creative Writing
Robin Peters, PhD (Main), 'Papatuanuku's Progeny: First Wave Maori Women Poets' (current)
Michele Johannsson, PhD (Co-), 'Mele Kanikau: The Plays of John Kneubuhl' (current)
Robert Sullivan, PhD (Main), 'Mana Moana: Five Pacific Poets'
Theresa Koroivulaona, PhD (Main), 'The Long Way Home: Oral Narratives in Fiji'
Masters of Creative Writing
Gina Cole, 'Black Ice', Short Story Collection (2013), now contracted to Huia Publishers
Samantha , 'Maiden Fiji', Historical Novel, now contracted to the University of the South Pacific Press, Fiji
Ila Selwyn, ‘Frames’ (Play and Integrated Poetry Collection), 2014, staged in 2016
Jinyu Han, ‘Wild Orchid’ (Novel), 2014
Fiona Melrose, ‘White Noise’ (Short Stories), 2014
Melanie O'Laughlin, 'And their Wives”, Historical Novel, (2013)
Madeleine Rout, 'Waiheke', Short Story Collection (2013)
Jo Commins, 'The Re-Mythology of Nafanua in Contemporary Diasporic Samoan Literature’ (2016)
Emma Ngakuravaru Powell, 'Stitching to the back-bone: A Cook Islands Literary Tivaivai' (2013)
Chant West, 'Spoken Word Politics in Aotearoa' (2012)
MA and BA(Hons) Research Projects
Makyla Curtis, ‘The Poetics of Bilanguaging: An Unfurling Literacy’
Fiona Stevens, ‘Myth, Transition, and Textuality in Rowen Metcalfe’s Transit of Venus’
Georgia Quirke-Luping: ‘Creating a ‘Kadazancentricity’
Anthony Lai, ‘Maui in Transition: Colonial and Postcolonial Narratives’
Natasha Maharaj, ‘Indo-Fijian Literature, Diaspora in the plays of Sudesh Mishra’
Jo Commins, 'Remythology and the Goddess'
Marlowe Wynne-Woodley, 'Adorno’s Reification, Campbell’s universalism and Sia Figiel'
Stella Seo, 'Identity Politics and Mudrooroo'
Shivanjali Nandani, 'Indo-Fijian Identities and Sudesh Mishra’s ‘Feejee’'
Manisha Kumar, Imperial Narratives, Re-Mythology, in Ali Cobby Eckerman and John Pule’
Kieran van den Hurk,‘Transcultural Identities in Lani Wendt Young’s Telesa Trilogy’
Mymoena Abrams, Adolescence in Figiel and Wendt Young’s Y/A Fiction’
PhD Pastoral Adviser
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Marsh, S. T. (2020). Mophead How Your Difference Makes a Difference. Auckland University Press. Pages: 88.
- Marsh, S. A. (2016). Fast talking PI goes to London to visit the Queen. In J. Gracewood, S. Andrew (Eds.) Tell You What Great New Zealand Nonfiction 2017 (pp. 240-251). Auckland University Press, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Marsh, S. T. (2016). Letter from Cape Town: Selina Tusitala Marsh on coconuts and colonialism. Academy of New Zealand Literature Related URL.
- Marsh, S. T. (2016). Fast talking PI visits the Queen. Booknotes Unbound, New Zealand Book Council Related URL.
- Marsh, S. T. Unity: For Queen Elizabeth II On Behalf of 53 Commonwealth Nations, 14/3/2016. Commonwealth Observance Day, Westminster Abbey, London, United Kingdom. Commissioning body: Commonwealth Education Foundation, the Royal Commonwealth Society Related URL.
- Marsh, S. A., & Tusitala Marsh, S. (2016). Unity. The Commonwealth service: A celebration of the Commonwealth, Westminster Abbey (pp. 13-13). London, United Kingdom: The Royal Commonwealth Society.
- Marsh, S. T. (2016). Poems: Hawai’i: Prelude to a Journey, Guys like Gauguin, Statued (stat you?) Traditions. In K. Alexeyeff, J. Taylor (Eds.) Touring Pacific cultures. Canberra, Australia: Australia National University (ANU) Press. Related URL.
- Tusitala Marsh, S. (2016). 'Nafanua and the New World': Pasifika's writing of Niu Zealand. In M. Williams (Ed.) A history of New Zealand literature (pp. 359-373). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Media Contact
Primary office location
HUMANITIES - Bldg 206
Level 6, Room 649
14A SYMONDS ST
Secondary office location
ARTS 1 - Bldg 206
Level 6, Room 647
14A SYMONDS ST