Robert Lawrence Wicks
BA (Michigan State) , MA , PhD (Wisconsin)
Research | Current
- Schopenhauer; Nietzsche; Hegel; Kant; History of Aesthetics; Existentialism
Teaching | Current
PHIL 152 Philosophy and Theories of Human Nature
PHIL 209 Schopenhauer and Nietzsche
PHIL 220 Kant and Hegel
PHIL 329 Schopenhauer and Nietzsche
PHIL 340 Kant and Hegel
PHIL 757 European Continental Philosophy 1
2008: David Nickless, Interpreting References to the Subject in Philosophical Writings
2006: Tony Stroobant, A Psychoanalytic Study of Anti-Semitism (with Philip Culbertson, School of Theology)
2005: Geoffey Roche, An Unblinking Gaze (with Stefano Franchi)
School of Humanities, Deputy Head of School for Teaching and Learning
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Wicks, R. L. (2017). Nietzsche's life and works. In E. N. Zalta (Ed.) Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy (pp. ). Stanford: Center for the Study of Language and Information. Related URL.
- Wicks, R. (2017). Kant's theory of freedom in the fourfold root as the progenitor of Schopenhauer's metaphysics of will. In J. Head, D. Vanden Auweele (Eds.) Schopenhauer's fourfold root (pp. 199-212). London: Routledge.
- Wicks, R. L. (2017). Schopenhauer. In S. D. Leach, J. Tartaglia (Eds.) Consciousness and the great philosophers : what would they have said about our mind-body problem? (pp. 142-151). London: Routledge.
- Wicks, R. L. (2016). The impact of idealism: The legacy of Post-Kantian German thought, Volume III: Aesthetics and literature by Christoph Jamme and Ian Cooper (eds.), [book review]. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews Related URL.
- Wicks, R. L. (2016). Introduction to Schopenhauer. In B. D. Crowe (Ed.) The nineteenth century philosophy reader (pp. 252-261). London: Routledge.
- Wicks, R. L. (2015). The Divine Inspiration for Kant's Formalist Theory of Beauty. Kant Studies Online, 1-31. Related URL.
- Wicks, R. L. (2014). Schopenhauer's Transcendental Idealism and the Neutral Nature of Will. In M. C. Altman (Ed.) The Palgrave Handbook of German Idealism (pp. 723-743). Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, England: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wicks, R. L. (2014). Kant: A Complete Introduction. London: Hodder & Stoughton/McGraw-Hill. Pages: 257.