Dr Nicole Perry
BA University of Alberta, MA McGill University, PhD University of Toronto
Nicole Perry is a Senior Lecturer in German at the University of Auckland. Before coming to the University of Auckland, she was a Lise Meitner-Programme fellow (2013-2017) funded by the Austrian Scientific Fund (FWF) for her project "Performing Germaness; Reclaiming Aboriginality", based at the University of Vienna. From 2011-2013 she was postdoctoral fellow in the Institute for German Studies at the University of Vienna working on the critical edition of the letters (Briefausgabe) of the Austrian-American Charles Sealsfield (1793-1864). She completed her PhD in Germanic Languages and Literatures at the University of Toronto (2012) with a dissertation on the German image of North American Indigenous people from 1800-present. She has taught a range of courses at universities including: the University of Guelph, University of Vienna and Masaryk University, Brno, CZ.
Research | Current
Nicole's research focuses primarily on the German image of America and of Indigenous peoples of North America 1800-present. Her current project reverses the gaze and examines how Indigenous artists from North America reclaim and reappropriate the German Indianer image in a postcolonial context. Her other interests include contemporary Austrian literature, theatre, film, and culture; Germany in the South Pacific; travel writing; and questions of gender and sexuality in literature and media.
Teaching | Current
CompLit 202/303 Interpreting Folktales
History 217/317 Nazi Germany and its Legacies
I am happy to discuss topics of supervision in German literature, culture, and film 1750-present; German and North American relations; Germany and the South Pacific; German Postcolonialisms; Holocaust writing; Travel writing; Comparative Literature with German.
Current PhD supervisions:
Nisha Ghatak (with Professor Lisa Samuels)
Li Yi (with Professor Paul Clark)
Current Masters supervisions:
Demi Cox (with Professor Lisa Samuels)
2018 Courtney Sole
2017 Samuel MacKenzie
2016 Rebecca Reilly
Comparative Literature Undergraduate Adviser
ELL/COMP LIT Doctoral Adviser
Section Head German (Sem 2 Weeks 1-6)
Areas of expertise
Germanic literature and culture 1750-present; representations of North America and Indigenous North America; Film and New Media Studies; Visual Culture; Germans in the South Pacific; Travel Writing; contemporary Austrian literature, Charles Sealsfield; Indigenous Studies; Postcolonial Studies; Holocaust Studies
Advisory Board, Europe Institute
Associate Editor, German: The William F. Cody Papers
Co-director, Research Centre for Germanic Connections to New Zealand and the Pacific
Co-editor, Germanica Pacifica Series
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Perry, N. (2018). Sex and Islam in Germany? Günther Senkel and Feridun Zaimoglu's "Schwarze Jungfrauen.". Paper presented at German Studies Association of Australia (GSAA) International Conference, Wellington, New Zealand. 28 November - 30 November 2018. Related URL.
- Perry, N. J. (2018). Winnetou is still Alive: Indianthusiasm in the 21st Century. Paper presented at The Imaginary Indian: The Images, Stereotypes and Perceptions of North American Indigenous Populations in Central Europe, Edmonton, Alberta. 29 August - 30 August 2018. Related URL.
- Perry, N. (2018). The savagery of America? Nineteenth-century German literature and indigenous representations. In M. P. Fitzpatrick, P. Monteith (Eds.) Savage worlds: German encounters abroad 1798-1914. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press. Related URL.
- Perry, N. J. (2018). Verwoben in "Indianthusiasm": A Uniquely German Entanglement. ab-Original: Journal of Indigneous Studies and First Nations and First People's Cultures, 2 (2), 227-245. 10.5325/aboriginal.2.2.0227
- Hofenender, V., & Perry, N. (Eds.) (2018). Germanistik Grenzlos: Festschrift für Wynfrid Kriegleder um 60. Geburtstag (German Studies Grenzlos: Festschrift for Wynfrid Kriegleder on her 60th birthday). Vienna, Austria: Praesens Verlag. Pages: 288. Related URL.
- Perry, N. (2018). Amerika, hast du es besser? Cooper und Sealsfield als amerikanische Schriftsteller (America, do you have it better? Cooper and Sealsfield as American writers). In V. Hofeneder, N. Perry (Eds.) Germanistik Grenzlos: Festschrift für Wynfrid Kriegleder um 60. Geburtstag (German Studies Grenzlos: Festschrift for Wynfrid Kriegleder on her 60th birthday) (pp. 40-45). Vienna, Austria: Praesens Verlag. Related URL.
- Perry, N. (2017). "Travelling the South Seas: Imperium and the legend of August Engelhardt". Paper presented at [Key Topics in Literature: Travel Writing: Texts, Contexts and Criticism], Bremen, Germany. 17 January 2017.
- Perry, N. (2017). Indigenous simulation in surveillance: Deconstructing the machine. Paper presented at Spaces of Surveillance International Lecture Series, Flensburg, Germany. 16 January 2017.