Dr Neal Curtis
BA (hons); MA; PhD
My last book entitled Idiotism was on privatization and culture, and was published by Pluto Press.
Research | Current
- Critical theory
- Ubiquitous media
- Media theory
- Philosophy of technology
I am currently writing a book entitled On Sovereignty and Superheroes for Manchester University Press, and am looking forward to my next book project on media systems and ubiquitous media.
Undergraduate Co-ordinator and undergraduate advisor
Areas of expertise
Critical Theory, comics, ubiquitous media, media theory, philosophy of technology
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Curtis, N., & Cardo, V. (2017). Superheroes and third-wave feminism. Feminist Media Studies, 1-16. 10.1080/14680777.2017.1351387
- Curtis, N. (2017). Doom’s Law: Spaces of Sovereignty in Marvel’s Secret Wars. The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship, 7 (1).10.16995/cg.90
- Curtis, N. (2017). Wonder Woman’s symbolic death: on kinship and the politics of origins. Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics, 1-14. 10.1080/21504857.2017.1279198
- Curtis, N. M. (2016). Millennials deserve better than forbears' scraps. The New Zealand Herald, A21-A21.
- Curtis, N. (2016). The explication of the social: Algorithms, drones and (counter-)terror. Journal of Sociology, 52 (3), 522-536. 10.1177/1440783316654265
- Curtis, N. (2015). Sovereignty and superheroes. Oxford University Press. Pages: 208.
- Curtis, N. M. (2013). Thought Bubble: Neoliberalism and the Politics of Knowledge. New Formations (80-81), 73-88. 10.3898/NEWF.80/81.04.2013
- Curtis, N. M. (2013). The Politics of Creation: Lyotard, Castoriadis and Malraux. In H. Bickis, R. Shields (Eds.) Rereading Jean-Francois Lyotard: Essays on his later works (pp. 137-153). Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Publishing Ltd.