Dr Maria Armoudian
Dr. Maria Armoudian is a lecturer at the University of Auckland in New Zealand, the host and producer of the radio program, The Scholars' Circle, and the author of two books, Kill the Messenger: The Media’s Role in the Fate of the World, and Reporting from the Danger Zone: Frontline Journalists, Their Jobs and an Increasingly Perilous Future.
She served as a commissioner in the city of Los Angeles for six years and worked in the California State Legislature for eight years, working on many issues ranging from environmental sustainability to good government and corporate reform. In addition to her academic publications, her articles have been published by the Columbia Journalism Review, New York Times Syndicate, the Los Angeles Times Syndicate, The New Zealand Herald, the Los Angeles Daily News, the Progressive, Salon.com, Truthout, Alternet, Inc., Daily Variety and Billboard. Maria is also a song-writer & musician. Her CD is titled Life in the New World.
Research | Current
- Politics and the media
- American politics
- Human rights
Teaching | Current
POLITICS 113 Politics and The Media
POLITICS 776 Special Topic: Media and Politics in an Age of Globalisation
POLITICS 212 Media and Conflict
POLITICS 218/319 American Politics
Early Career Research Excellence Award
Areas of expertise
Media, Conflict, Genocide, American Politics, Human Rights
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Armoudian, M. (2016). Building a Better New Zealand Media. https://pacificoutlier.org/2016/09/05/maria-armoudian-building-a-better-new-zealand-media/. Related URL.
- Armoudian, M. (2016). Family of slain US journalist sue Syrian government. http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/37354-family-of-slain-us-journalist-hopes-for-hearing-in-syrian-civil-suit. Related URL.
- Armoudian, M. (2016). Erdogan has failed democracy’s test. The world, NZ included, must respond. http://thespinoff.co.nz/featured/14-08-2016/erdogan-has-failed-democracys-test-the-world-nz-included-must-respond/. Related URL.
- Armoudian, M. (2016). Reporting From the Danger Zone: Frontline Journalists, Their Jobs, and an Increasingly Perilous Future. Routledge. Pages: 164.
- Armoudian, M. (2016). Introducing new datasets on Northern Ireland’s media in the peace process and a test of newsworthiness in times of ‘troubles’. Media, War and Conflict10.1177/1750635216643112
- Armoudian, M. (2015). Frames of conflict, frames of resolution: Blame frames, hate frames, genocidal frames and acceptance frames. Paper presented at Australian Political Studies Association, Canberra, Australia. 28 September - 30 September 2015. Related URL.
- Armoudian, M. (2015). The Forgotten Genocide at 100: Why the Armenian Genocide Still Matters Today. Invited talk at Waikato University. Related URL.
- Armoudian, M. (2015). To Heal a Nation: Genocide Survivors and their Generations. ARPA: Analysis, Research & Planning for Armenia. Related URL.