Dr Gregory Minissale
PhD (SOAS, London), MA (SOAS, London), MSc (City University), BA (Sussex)
- Senior Lecturer in Art History
Gregory was born in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, and studied art history and Italian at the University of Sussex. He completed his Masters and PhD in art history at the School of African and Oriental Art, University of London on the subject of cross-cultural encounters in art. He has taught at the Savannah College of Art and Design, GA USA and London Metropolitan University.
Research | Current
- Art theory
- Philosophy of mind
- Cognitive and psychological approaches to art
Greg is currently conducting research into matter and contemporary art, using art theory, philosophy, phenomenology and cognitive psychological approaches.
Teaching | Current
ARTHIST 115 Global Art Histories
ARTHIST 204 Contemporary Art and Theory
ARTHIST 231 Framing the Viewer: 20th Century Art
ARTHIST 331 Framing the Viewer: 20th Century Art
ARTHIST 334 Contemporary Art and Theory
ARTHIST 725 Concepts in Contemporary Art
- Foucault and Velázquez
Time in Contemporary Art
Choreography and Intersubjectivity
The Crisis of the Object
The City as Medium
Misogynist Responses to Tracey Emin's Art; Menstruation in Art; Fiona Connor; Entomology in Art; Cosmography in Art; Sonic art; Historiography and Art.
2013 Early Career Teaching Excellence Award.
Areas of expertise
Contemporary art and theory, psychological and phenomenological approaches to art and materiality
Art History's Representative on the Humanities Research Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Minissale, G. (2017). Robotic Vision and Robotic Touch: seeing and feeling through robots. Paper presented at Robot Futures: Vision and Touch in Robotics, Science Museum, South Kensington, London. 7 July - 7 August 2017. Related URL.
- Minissale, G. (2017). Eye-teaching in the humanities. Paper presented at Fifteenth International Conference on New Directions in the Humanities, Imperial College London. 5 July - 7 July 2017. Related URL.
- Lambert, A., Minissale, G., Weber, G., & lutteroth, C. Eyetrackers: between art and neuroscienceMOTAT Auckland Museum of Transport. 1/2/2016 - 30/5/2016 Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anthony Lambert, Christof Lutteroth, Gerald Weber
- Minissale, G. (2015). Performing the Curator, Curating the Performer: Abramović’s Seven Easy Pieces. In C. Jeffery (Ed.) The Artist as Curator (pp. 131-149). Bristol, UK ; Chicago, IL: Intellect.
- Minissale, G. (2015). Transcultural Framing in Early Modern India. Paper presented at Transcultural Framing(s): Materials and Metaphors, University of Heidelberg - Karl Jaspers Centre for Advanced Transcultural Studies. 31 October - 2 November 2014. Related URL.
- Minissale, G. (2015). Problem Spaces in the Walters Prize. Reading Room: A Journal of Art and Culture (7), 126-146. Related URL.
- Minissale, G. (2015). Becoming-Cyborg. In L. Grabbe, P. Rupert-Kruse, N. Schmitz (Eds.) Cyborgian Images: The Moving Image between Apparatus and Body (pp. 164-185). Darmstadt: Buchner-Verlag. Related URL.
- Minissale, G. (2015). The Invisible Within: Dispersing Masculinity in Art. Angelaki : Journal of the Theoretical Humanities, 20 (1), 71-83. 10.1080/0969725X.2015.1017378