Dr Daniela Cavallaro
Diploma de Estudios Hispanicos (Univ. de Salamanca) , Laurea (Univ. di Roma) , MA (Ohio State Univ.) , PhD (Northwestern University)
Daniela Cavallaro joined the Italian Department in 1997 after teaching Italian and Humanities at the University of Puerto Rico and at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She has published in the fields of 20th century Italian novel, Spanish and Italian women's theatre, Italian cinema, and South Pacific literature. She is currently researching works by modern Italian women playwrights.
Research | Current
- Contemporary Italian fiction and drama
- Rewriting of classical literature
- Women’s theatre
Teaching | Current
ITALIAN 200 Intermediate Italian Language 1
ITALIAN 201 Intermediate Italian Language 2
ITALIAN 202 Engendered Voices (Texts in Italian)
ITALIAN 203 Engendered Voices (Texts in English)
ITALIAN 335 Engendered Voices (Texts in Italian)
"Focusing on the feminine: The female characters in Italo Calvino's Il barone rampante", Bridget Tompkins, MA 2008.
Undergraduate advisor for Italian
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Cavallaro, D. (2013). Il gioco del rovescio: Bassani's Gli occhiali d'oro and Tabucchi's Sostiene Pereira. Italica, 90 (3), 451-472. Related URL.
- Cavallaro, D. (2011). The dazzling hour: An italian comedy adapted for the american stage. Theatre Survey, 52 (2), 251-273. 10.1017/S004055741100038X
- Cavallaro, D. (2011). Salesian Theatre for Young Women in Post-World War II Italy. Ecumenica, 4 (2), 25-50.
- Cavallaro, D. (2011). Italian Women's Theatre, 1930-1960: an anthology of plays. Bristol: Intellect Ltd. Pages: 392.
- Cavallaro, D. (2010). Giving Birth to a New Woman: Italian Women Playwrights' Revisions of Medea. In H. Bartel, A. Simon (Eds.) Unbinding Medea. Interdisciplinary Approaches to a Classical Myth from Antiquity to the 21st Century (pp. 195-208). Maney Pub.
- Cavallaro, D. (2010). Catholic Theater for Women in Post-War Italy: Education, Morality, and Social Change. In K. Wetmore (Ed.) Catholic Theatre and Drama. Critical Essays (pp. 125-140). Jefferson, NC: McFarland.
- Cavallaro, D. (2007). The making of a feminist film: Sofia Scandurra's Io sono mia. Studies in European Cinema, 4 (3), 199-210.
- Cavallaro, D. (2007). "Con tutto da ricominciare": Vannina's spiritual journey in Dacia Maraini's Donna in guerra. Annali d'Italianistica, 25, 379-398.