Dr Eduardo Pineros
BA, MA, PhD
Eduardo Piñeros is Senior Lecturer of Hispanic Linguistics, specialising in phonology and morphology. He received his BA in Modern Languages from the Universidad Pedagógica Nacional de Colombia and his MA and PhD in Hispanic Linguistics from the Ohio State University. Prior to 2009, when he joined the University of Auckland, he was Associate Professor at the University of Iowa (2005-2009), Assistant Professor at the University of Iowa (1999-2005), and Assistant Professor at Central Michigan University (1998-1999).
Research | Current
- Segmental phonology
- Suprasegmental phonology
- Word-formation processes
- Nominal and verbal inflection
My research explores aspects of both segmental and suprasegmental Spanish sound structure as well as aspects of Spanish word structure. My publications are on topics such as assimilation, labialisation, and velarisation of nasal stops; nasal-stop inventories; quantity sensitivity and primary stress assignment; spirantisation of voiced stops; obstruent vocalisation; sonorant syllabisation; lexical blending; truncation; language games; and grammatical categories.
Teaching | Current
SPANISH 104 Beginners' Spanish 1
SPANISH 341/741 Spanish Sound Structure
SPANISH 342/742 Spanish Word Formation
SPANISH 700 Spanish Language: Theory and Practice
2015 Sustained Excellence in Teaching Award – University of Auckland
2012 Teaching Excellence Award for Innovation – Faculty of Arts, University of Auckland
2005 Innovations in Instructional Computing Award – University of Iowa
2001 Fulbright-Hays Faculty Award – U.S. Department of Education
2000 Arts and Humanities Initiative Award – University of Iowa
2000 Old Gold Summer Fellowship – University of Iowa
Deputy Head of School (Academic)
Spanish Postgraduate Advisor
Areas of expertise
Spanish phonology, morphology, phonetics, and dialectology
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Piñeros C-E (2017). Person and number markers in Spanish verb forms. Lingua, 195, 1-38. 10.1016/j.lingua.2017.05.009
- Pineros, C. E. (2016). The phonological weight of Spanish syllables. In Nuñez-Cedeño, Rafael (Ed.) The syllable and stress: Studies in honor of James W. Harris (pp. 271-314). Berlin: De Gruyter. 10.1515/9781614515975-011
- Pineros, C. E. (2016). Exceptional nasal-stop inventories. Catalan Journal of Linguistics, 15, 67-100. Related URL.
- Pineros, C. E. (2016). Acento. In Gutiérrez-Rexach J (Ed.) Enciclopedia de lingüística hispánica, Volume 1 (pp. 357-368). London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. Related URL.
- Pineros, C. E. (2013). La labialización nasal en español: El papel de la estructura suprasegmental. Lingüística Española Actual, 35 (1), 5-40. Related URL.
- Pineros, C. E. (2011). ¿Es el entrecruzamiento léxico realmente un proceso sustractivo?. Lingüística Española Actual, 33 (1), 75-100. Related URL.
- Pineros, C. E. (2011). El inventario fonémico nasal del español: un estudio comparativo. Revista Española de Lingüística, 41 (1), 73-112. Related URL.
- Piñeros CE (2008). Estructura de los sonidos del español (1st). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall. Pages: 414.
Office hours: Monday: 2-3pm or by appointment
ARTS 2 - Bldg 207
Level 4, Room 404A
18 SYMONDS ST