Dr Anne Mackay
BA, MA (Canterbury), PhD (Wellington)
2019-...: Honorary Research Fellow in Classics and Ancient History, University of Auckland, New Zealand
2001-2018: Associate Professor of Classics, University of Auckland, New Zealand
1990-2001: Professorial Chair of Classics, University of Natal, Durban, South Africa
1984-1990: Senior Lecturer in Classics, University of Natal, Durban, South Africa
1978-1984: Lecturer in Classics, University of Natal, Durban, South Africa
1974-1977: Junior Lecturer in Classics, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Research | Current
- The Attic black-figure vase-painting tradition
- Early Greek oral-traditional epic
- Narrative strategies in ancient Greek vase-painting and early epic
- Representations of mythological narrative in early Greek art
Work in progress
An investigation of inscriptions on Greek vases: the various categories and their likely signification for ancient viewers.
Current doctoral supervision topic
Investigation of Etruscan reception of imported Attic black-figure vases
Areas of expertise
- Archaic Greek Art, especially Attic black-figure pottery
- Early Greek Oral Tradition, especially Homeric epic; oral theory
- Greek Tragedy
- Greek Mythology
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mackay, A. (2016). Industrial religion: The saucer pyres of the Athenian Agora. By Susan I. Rotroff [Book review]. Mouseion: Journal of the Classical Association of Canada, 13 (2), 460-463.
- Mackay, E. A. (2016). Susan I. Rotroff. Industrial Religion: The Saucer Pyres of the Athenian Agora, Hesperia Supplement 47. Princeton, NJ: American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 2013. Pp. xix + 228. US $75.00. ISBN 9780876615478 [book review]. Mouseion: journal of the Classical Association of Canada, 13 (2), 460-463. Related URL.
- Mackay, E. A. (2016). The baneful hedgehog of ancient Greece. In Landgráfová R, Mynářová J (Eds.) Rich and great: studies in honour of Anthony J. Spalinger on the occasion of his 70th Feast of Thoth (pp. 233-237). Prague: Charles University, Faculty of Arts. Related URL.
- Mackay, E. A. (Ed.) (2011). ASCS 32 Selected Proceedings (2011). The Selected Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Conference of the Australasian Society for Classical Studies. ASCS Website, Australia: Online publication.
- Mackay, E. A. (2011). Review of Stephen R. Wilk, Medusa. Solving the Mystery of the Gorgon. The CLASSICAL REVIEW, 61 (1), 184-186. 10.1017/S0009840X10002465
- Mackay, E. A. (2010). Distorted Ideals in Greek Vase-Painting: The World of Mythological Burlesque. HERMATHENA (188), 102-106.
- Mackay, E. A. (2010). Review of: Distorted Ideals in Greek Vase-Painting: The World of Mythological Burlesque by David Walsh. Hermathena, Summer 2010, issue 188, p. 102-106 (188), 102-106. Related URL.
- Mackay, E. A. (2010). Tradition and Originality : A Study of Exekias. Oxford : Archaeopress. Pages: 413.
- Media Contact
Classics and Ancient History, School of Humanities, Faculty of Arts
Building 206, Room 822
University of Auckland
Primary office location
HUMANITIES BUILDING - Bldg 206
Level 8, Room 822
14A SYMONDS ST