Mr Martin Selborne White
MEd (Temple), PG Dip (Sheffield), PGCE (Nottingham)
I have taught English to speakers from non-English backgrounds for over twenty years. I have worked, teaching English, in England, Germany, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Japan and New Zealand. My experience includes working in secondary schools, universities, private language schools and major corporations.
- Tuakana Coordinator
- Equity Liaison
- Equity Committee
Research | Current
Academic writing, academic literacy, second language acquisition, genre analysis and academic texts.
Action research in the area of lesson planning.
Teaching | Current
ACADENG 101 Academic English Writing
ACADENG 201 Advanced Academic Written English
- English for Academic Purposes
- Academic Listening and Reading
- Academic Writing
Undergraduate Advisor for Academic English Studies and English Writing
School of Cultures, Languages and Linguistics Equity Liaison
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- White, M. S. (2011). What lecturers really require: An analysis of essay writing tasks at undergraduate level. In A. Feryok (Ed.) CLESOL 2010: Proceedings of the 12th National Conference for Community Languages and ESOL, 64-73. Dunedin, New Zealand.
- White, M. S. (2011). Review of: EAP essentials: A teacher's guide to principles and practice - By O. Alexander, S. Argent, and J. Spencer. TESOLANZ Newsletter, 20 (1), 17-17.
- White, M. S. (2010). What lecturers really require: Do academic writing books prepare students for university writing?. Unitec, Department of Language Studies, Auckland.
- White, M. S. (2010). What lecturers really require: An analysis of essay writing tasks at undergraduate level. Paper presented at CLESOL 2010: the 12th National Conference for Community Languages and TESOL. Context& Communication: Mediating Language Learning, Dunedin, New Zealand. 1 October - 4 October 2010.
- White, M. S. (2009). Review of: English for Academic Study: Reading & Writing - By John Slaght, Paddy Harben and Anne Pallant. TESOLANZ Newsletter, 18 (2), 31-31.
- White, M. S. (2008). Building Communities of Writers through Peer Review. Paper presented at 11th National Conference on Community Languages and ESOL: Language and Identity: Building Communities of Learning., Auckland, New Zealand. 2 October - 5 October 2008.
- White, M. S. (2008). Review of: English for Academic Study: Speaking - By Joan McCormack and Sebastian Watkins. TESOLANZ Newsletter, 17 (1), 18-19.
- White, M. S. (2006). The interplay of research and course content: Changing perspectives in a university writing course. Paper presented at 10th National Conference on Community Languages and ESOL 2006: Origins and Connections, Napier, New Zealand. 29 September - 2 October 2006.