Dr Maxine Carinna Elizabeth Lewis
BA (Hons) (Newcastle) , PhD (Sydney)
Research | Current
Teaching | Current
CLASSICS 130 Love and Death in Greek and Roman Literature
LATIN 200 Latin Language Acquisition: Intermediate
LATIN 202 Latin Literary Texts 2B/2C
LATIN 302 Latin Literary Texts 2B/2C
LATIN 707AB Selected Latin Texts I
LATIN 714AB Unprepared Translation I
I teach Latin, Greek, Classical Studies and Ancient History, specialising in Latin and Classical Studies. I am particularly interested in the representation of gender and sexuality, taught in courses such as Latin 202/302 (Latin Literary Texts 2B/2C) and Classics 216/316 (Special Topic).
I am available to supervise Honours and Masters students, and to co-supervise PhD students. I especially welcome enquiries about topics related to the following areas:
- Latin literature
- Roman history
- Catullus, Virgil, Ovid
- Female authors, Greek and Roman
- Gender and sexuality in Greece and Rome
- Literary theory
- Reception of classical texts and myths
I am currently supervising:
- Inconsistency in Catullus (Hons)
- Gendering monsters (MA)
and currently co-supervising:
- Geography and place in Ovid's Metamorphoses (PhD)
- Leadership in the Thebaid (PhD)
- Gendered language in Egyptian literature (PhD)
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lewis, M. (2016). Catullus’ Intertextual Crossroads: Where Theocritus’ Idyll 15 Meets Poems 64 and 36. American Journal of Philology, 137 (2), 321-357. 10.1353/ajp.2016.0015
- Lewis, M. (2014). Queering Catullus in the Classroom: The Ethics of Teaching Poem 63. In N. Rabinowitz, F. McHardy (Eds.) From Abortion to Pederasty: Addressing Difficult Topics in the Classics Classroom (pp. 248-266). Columbus: Ohio State University Press. Related URL.
- Lewis, M. (2013). Narrativising Catullus: a Never-ending Story. Melbourne Historical Journal, 41 (2), 1-19.
- Lewis, M. (2012). Lewis on Garrison. Bryn Mawr Classical Review, 2012.09.48. Related URL.
- Lewis, M. (2009). Audience, Communication and Textuality in Catullus Carmen 67. Antichthon: Journal of Ancient World Studies, 43 (2009), 34-49. Related URL.