Associate Professor Luke Goode
BA (Hons) , PhD
I research, teach and write about new media technologies. I study the opportunities and the risks they open up for us as a society and as individuals. My work challenges some of the popular media narratives about what digital technology may be doing to us, especially the rising tide of anxiety around 'digital natives'. I am also interested in the ways communication technology features in popular visions of the future (both fictional and non-fictional) and how these visions shape the public imagination about the kind of society we want or expect to live in.
Research | Current
- New media technologies
- Science fiction and the public sphere
- Critical future studies and 'future imaginaries'
Teaching | Current
COMMS 100 Communication, Technology and Culture
MEDIA 224 Science Fiction Media
MEDIA 319 Science Fiction Media
Current and recent MA and PhD supervision topics include:
- Social media and digital journalism
- Cyberculture in China
- British science fiction and Thatcherism
- Online dating apps
- Web surfing and the 'filter bubble' effect
- Twitter and the Egyptian revolution
Areas of expertise
- New media
- Digital culture
- Future studies
- Science fiction
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Goode, L., & Godhe, M. (2017). Beyond Capitalist Realism – Why We Need Critical Future Studies. Culture Unbound: Journal of Current Cultural Research, 9 (1), 1-12. 10.3384/cu.2000.1525.1790615
- Goode, L. (2015). Anonymous and the Political Ethos of Hacktivism. Popular Communication, 13 (1), 74-86. 10.1080/15405702.2014.978000
- Goode, L., & McKee, A. (2013). Conflict and seduction in the public sphere. Media, Culture and Society, 35 (1), 113-120. 10.1177/0163443712464565
- Goode, L., McCullough, A., & O'Hare G (2011). Unruly publics and the fourth estate on YouTube. Participations: journal of audience and reception studies, 8 (2), 594-615.
- Goode, L. (2010). Cultural citizenship online: the Internet and digital culture. Citizenship Studies, 14 (5), 527-542. 10.1080/13621025.2010.506707
- Goode, L. (2009). Social news, citizen journalism and democracy. NEW MEDIA & SOCIETY, 11 (8), 1287-1305. 10.1177/1461444809341393
- Goode, L. (2009). Social news, citizen journalism and democracy. New Media and Society, 11 (8), 1287-1305. 10.1177/1461444809341393
- Goode, L. (2009). New Media and Democracy. In Raymond Miller (Ed.) New Zealand Government and Politics (pp. 431-443). Melbourne: Oxford University Press.