Associate Professor Lisa Nell Samuels
Ph.D. in English, University of Virginia; M.A. in English, University of Virginia; B.A. in English, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Postgraduate Adviser Master of Creative Writing
- PUBLISHED BOOKS:
- Anti M (creative nonfiction). Tucson: Chax Press, 2013.
Wild Dialectics (poetry). Bristol: Shearsman Books, 2012.
Gender City (poetry). Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2011.
Mama Mortality Corridos (poetry & drawings). Auckland: Holloway Press, 2010.
Tomorrowland (poetry). Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2009.
Throe (poetry chapbook). Norfolk: Oystercatcher Press, 2009.
The Invention of Culture (poetry). Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2008.
Increment /a family romance (poetry chapbook). Milwaukee: Bronze Skull Press, 2006.
Paradise for Everyone (poetry). Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2005.
War Holdings (poetry chapbook). Columbus: Pavement Saw Press, 2003.
Editor. Anarchism Is Not Enough. By Laura Riding. An annotated critical edition. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2001.
The Seven Voices (poetry). Oakland: O Books, 1998.
Guest Editor. Special Issue, “Poetry and the Problem of Beauty.” Modern Language Studies 27.2, 1997.
LETTERS (poetry chapbook). Buffalo: Meow Press, 1996.
Research | Current
- Poetry and poetics
- Experimental critical practice and literary theory
- Literary modernism
- Contemporary innovative writing
- Digital arts theory
- Transcultural creative writing
Tender Girl. Experimental novel.
Modernism Is Not Enough. Scholarly monograph manuscript: essays on modern and contemporary imaginative writing, critical practice, and literary theory.
City of Dreams (invisible counter-monuments. Poetry manuscript.
A TransPacific Poetics. Collection co-edited with Sawako Nakayasu. Introduction and publisher research in process.
Work from Wild Dialectics (2012) being set to music by composer Frédéric Pattar for performance by ensemble and mezzo soprano.
Teaching | Current
ENGLISH 222 Modern Poetry: Making it New
ENGLISH 323 Contemporary Poetry
ENGLISH 343 Writing Poetry
ENGLISH 769 Special Topic: Representing Imagining
40% research, 40% teaching, and 20% service
Areas of expertise
Poetry and poetics, experimental critical practice and literary theory, literary modernism, contemporary innovative writing, digital arts theory, transcultural creative writing
President, Australia-New Zealand American Studies Association (ANZASA), 2014-; Vice President for New Zealand, 2010-2014
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Samuels, L. (2017). Bioautography and Carolee Schneemann's VULVA’S MORPHIA. Chicago Review, 60 (4), 154-174.
- Samuels, L., & Nakayasu, S. (Eds.) (2017). A Transpacific Poetics (1st). USA: Litmus Press. Pages: 200. Related URL.
- Samuels, L. (2017). Symphony for Human Transport. Pages: 76. Related URL.
- Samuels, L. (2015). Tender Girl A Novel. Pages: 198.
- Samuels, L. (2013). Anti M. USA: Chax Press. Pages: 122.
- Samuels, L. (2012). Wild dialectics. UK: Shearsman Books. Pages: 82.
- Samuels, L. (2011). Gender City. Exeter UK: Shearsman Books. Pages: 116.
- Samuels, L. N. (2010). Mama Mortality Corridos (Poetry and Drawings). Auckland: Holloway Press. Pages: 57.