Dr Liam Hua
BA, MA, PhD
Liam Hua received his PhD in Translation Studies (Interpreting Studies) from the Graduate Institute of Interpreting and Translation, Shanghai International Studies University China. Prior to joining CLL, Dr. Hua had been a faculty member for seven years in different universities in China, the United States and Britain, where he lectured in conference interpreting and liaison interpreting.
Professionally trained as a conference interpreter, Hua has offered more than 400 interpreting services for government officials and corporate clients in the past twelve years, and has the privilege to have worked for clients including but not limited to Prince Henrik of Denmark, Gerhard Schröder, Jacques Rogge and George Soros. This has successfully turned into a wonderful source of vivid examples and even anecdotes in class.
Research | Current
- Interpreters’ professional activities from social and/or historical perspective
- Stakeholder-inclusive interpreter training
- China's enagement with the rest of the world through the mediation of translation and interpreting
Teaching | Current
TRANSLAT 716 Chinese Specialised Translation
TRANSLAT 720 Translation Portfolio
TRANSLAT 100 Translation for Global Citizenship
Hua was and is pleased to work with students at the PhD and postgrad level on their projects.
- 2010: Interpreter Trainng Excellence Award, All China Interpreting Contest (Translators Association of China)
- 2012: Interpreter Training Excellence Award, All China Interpreting Contest (Translators Association of China)
research, teaching and social services
Areas of expertise
- the Interpreting profession
- Conference interpreting
- Interpreter training