Dr Komathi Kolandai-Matchett
PhD Mass Communication
Dr Komathi Kolandai-Matchett is a research fellow at the University of Auckland, currently relishing her return to the environmental communication field – a field that is deeply meaningful to her. She has over 15 years of research and evaluation experience. Transcending traditional research field boundaries, her experiences include environmental and sustainability communications, theology and environmental behaviour, education and training, gambling and addictions, agricultural sustainability, aquatic science, and fisheries policy and wetlands governance.
Dr Kolandai-Matchett’s teaching experiences include guest lectures on different topics:
- 2006/7: University of Canterbury: (1) Media and the environment: Effects on public opinion and policy; (2) Media’s role: Communicating sustainability and environmental issues; (3) Global environmental problems and international environmental treaties
- 2009: Lincoln University: Barriers to sustainable consumption and the media’s issue raising role
- 2015/17: Auckland University of Technology: (1) Evaluation methods; (2) Problem gambling: Public health perspectives; (3) Cultural considerations: Gambling, problem gambling, prevention & treatment; (4) Outcomes: Effective indicators for achieving planning goals; (5) Gambling and politics
Her early career positions with international NGOs (World Wide Fund for Nature and Pesticide Action Network) and private tertiary institutions included staff management, lobbying and advocacy, media relations and communications, advertising and marketing, and on-the-ground practical research for informed decision-making.
Research | Current
Experimental studies on multimedia outreach tools for marine ecosystem sustainability
2009: PhD Mass Communication (Improving News Media Communication of Sustainability and the Environment), University of Canterbury, NZ
1999: MSc. Environmental Science (A Spiritual Appeal to Environmental Behaviour), Lund University, Sweden.
1993: BSc. (Hons.) Fishery Science University of Agriculture, Malaysia.
1990: Diploma in Fisheries University of Agriculture, Malaysia.
Awards and Scholarships
2007: Doctoral Research Award (BRCSS Network, NZ)
2004: Doctoral Scholarship Award (University of Canterbury, NZ)
2004: Fellowship Award for Environmental Studies (BFSD, Germany)
2002: Spirit of the Land Award, Salt Lake City
1998: The Swedish Malaysian Scholarship Award
1998: NZODA Post Graduate Scholarship (declined)
- Designing and implementing experimental studies to test the effects of communication modalities and message frames.
- Publications and research dissemination (presentations, workshops, guest lectures).
Areas of expertise
- Environmental communication
- Media studies
- Evaluation methodologies
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Rawat, V., Browne, M., Bellringer, M., Greer, N., Kolandai-Matchett, K., Rockloff, M., ... Abbott, M. (2018). A tale of two countries: comparing disability weights for gambling problems in New Zealand and Australia. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation, 27 (9), 2361-2371. 10.1007/s11136-018-1882-8
- Kolandai-Matchett, K., Bellringer, M., Landon, J., & Abbott, M. (2018). A process evaluation of the 'Aware' and 'Supportive Communities' gambling harm-minimisation programmes in New Zealand. European journal of public health, 28 (2), 369-376. 10.1093/eurpub/ckx120
- Kolandai-Matchett, K., Landon, J., Bellringer, M., & Abbott, M. (2018). A national public health programme on gambling policy development in New Zealand: insights from a process evaluation. Harm reduction journal, 15 (1)10.1186/s12954-018-0217-y
- Kolandai-Matchett, K., Langham, E., Bellringer, M., & Siitia, P. A.-H. (2017). How gambling harms experienced by Pacific people in New Zealand amplify when they are culture-related. Asian Journal of Gambling Issues and Public Health, 7 (1).10.1186/s40405-017-0026-3
- Abbott, M., Bellringer, M., Garrett, N., & Kolandai-Matchett, K. (2017). Design and Methods of the New Zealand National Gambling Study, a Prospective Cohort Study of Gambling and Health: 2012–2019. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 15 (6), 1242-1269. 10.1007/s11469-017-9843-y
- Kolandai-Matchett, K., Spellerberg, I., Buchan, G. D., & Early∗ N (2009). Sustainability in Journalism Education: Assessment of a Trial Module in New Zealand. Applied Environmental Education & Communication, 8 (3-4), 204-215. 10.1080/15330150903362293
- Kolandai-Matchett, K. (2009). Mediated communication of ‘sustainable consumption’ in the alternative media: a case study exploring a message framing strategy. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 33 (2), 113-125. 10.1111/j.1470-6431.2009.00754.x