Mr John Anthony Tomlins
BA (Hons) University of the West of England, MEd (Distinction) (Manchester)
Professional Teaching Fellow John Tomlins joined the Department in November 2001. He has taught English as an Additional Language, English for Specific Purposes and English for Academic Purposes for over 30 years in the U.K., Japan, France, Papua New Guinea, Cyprus and New Zealand in both the private and public sectors. He has designed courses in Business Communication Skills, English for Cartography, English for Academic Purposes, Research Skills, Language in Society, and Developing Communication and Communicating Development over the past 20 years.
Services: Academic English Studies and English Writing Coordinator.
Research | Current
Politics of Education, Sociology of Education, Critical Pedagogy, Current Research: Praxis: Social Change Social Movements and Ideology
Teaching | Current
ACADENG 210 Writing Research Reports
Jung, J.T. 2004. "The influence of the teaching of spoken language on learner anxiety in their completion of speaking tasks", Unpublished MA dissertation, The University of Auckland.
Academic English Studies and English Writing Coordinator
Areas of expertise
English for Academic Purposes, Critical Pedagogy
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tomlins, J. A. (2010). Invited lecture: The Design of Teaching and Learning Materials for Seminar Discussions. English Language Academy, The University of Auckland.
- Tomlins, J. A. (2010). Review of Academic Interactions: Communicating on Campus by C.Feak, S Reinhart, T. Rohlck, Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, 2009. TESOLANZ Newsletter, 19 (3), 46-47.
- Tomlins, J. A. (2009). Designing Materials for the Teaching and Learning of Seminar Discussion. Paper presented at IATEFL Testing, Evaluation and Assessment SIG Conference, Recent Approaches to Teaching and Assessing Speaking, Famagusta, Cyprus. 23 October - 24 October 2009.
- Tomlins, J. A. (2008). Invited lecture: The Design of Teaching and Learning Materials for Seminar Discussions. Murdoch University, Perth, Australia.
- Tomlins, J. A. (2008). Invited lecture: The Design of Teaching and Learning Materials for Seminar Discussions. Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia.
- Tomlins, J. A. (2008). The Design of Teaching and Learning Materials for Seminar Discussions. Paper presented at 3rd International Symposium and Conference, English Language Teaching Materials, Melaka, Malaysia. 16 October - 17 October 2008.
Tuesday 11am - 12 noon
Primary office location
CLL BUILDING - Bldg 207
Level 2, Room 209
18 SYMONDS ST