Dr Jenny Alexandra Mendieta Aguilar
BA, MA, PhD Auck.
Jenny is an English Language Adviser in English Language Enrichment (ELE). Having obtained her BEd in Language Teaching and her MA in Applied Linguistics in her native Colombia, she moved to New Zealand to complete her PhD in Applied Linguistics. She has worked as an ESOL and Spanish teacher in schools and universities in both Colombia and the United States. Her research interests are in areas such as curriculum innovation, blended and online learning, academic writing and language teacher development. In 2011, she was awarded the University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship and was one of the 2017 CLeaR Fellows.
Provides a range of services to develop students' academic English.
- Collaborates with academic staff to integrate academic English development into the curriculum
- Creates online tutorials and resources to support academic English language learning
- Offers individual advisory sessions to help develop academic English language learning
- Designs and delivers workshops on academic writing
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mendieta Aguilar, J. A., & Rutti Olivia, O. R. (2016). Academic literacy across borders: Facilitating undergraduates’ transition to university writing. Paper presented at 15th National Conference for Community Languages and ESOL (CLESOL), University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand. 14 July 2016 - 17 January 2017. Related URL.
- Mendieta Aguilar, J. A. (2015). Blended Language Learning in a Colombian Tertiary Context: A Narrative Inquiry of Teacher Change and Curriculum Innovation The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.
- Barkhuizen, G. P., Hiratsuka, T., Khan, A., & Mendieta, J. (2015). Locating research methods within an applied linguistics narrative framework. Te Reo, 56/57, 109-126. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gary Barkhuizen