Dr Jennifer Susan Lees-Marshment
BA(Hons) (Keele), MA (Distinction) (Manchester), PhD (Keele)
Dr Jennifer Lees-Marshment is a research-led but practice-oriented academic.
Author/editor of 13 books, a world expert in political marketing, she was A-rated in the 2012 NZ research assessment (PBRF) and is predicted an A for 2018.
Jennifer has presented her research to government staff, was academic advisor to TVNZ's Vote Compass and Kiwimeter, won the International Associaton for Public Participation Research Award for Australasia and was appointed to Chair the NZ Magna Carta 800th anniversary committee and promote commemorations by government, professional and educational organisations. See this video on how her research had impact through Vote Compass.
In her teaching Jennifer seeks to embed transferrable skills and develop employability, and her innovative course The Practice of Politics explores the nature, suitability, skills and ethics needed to get and succeed when working in politics, government and IR.
Research | Current
Dr Lees-Marshment researches the relationship between politicians, government and public opinion, mainly through the field of political marketing, and more recently, political leadership and political management.
Jennifer has written 12 books in political marketing, including the first textbook and Routledge Handbook in the field. Her most recent book The Ministry of Public Input considered how public input can be integrated into political leadership, using interviews with 51 government ministers and it won the 2015 Research Award for Australasia from IAP2. Her current project is building the conceptual foundations of Political Management to inform better practice in government.
Jennifer supports the research of other scholars through event management, network creation and editoral leadership - she founded the UK PSA Political Marketing Group and is Editor of the Palgrave Studies in Political Marketing and Management.
See www.lees-marshment.org for further details.
Teaching | Current
POLITICS 206 The Practice of Politics - see resource centre at https://www.coursebuilder.cad.auckland.ac.nz/flexiblelearning/practice-of-politics/ (Auckland login only)
POLITICS 704 Political Management in Government
Previously taught course:
POLITICS 213 Media, Opinion and Propaganda - see resource centre https://flexiblelearning.auckland.ac.nz/pols231/
Dr Lees-Marshment can supervise graduate research in political marketing, political management, political parties and elections, political communication, political leadership, government and public consultation and government management/marketing. Previous students have worked on topics such as market-oriented parties, market-oriented communication of leaders, political public relations, branding government departments, e-marketing, party participation, e-consultation, nation branding and tourism marketing. Jennifer runs a Political marketing and management network for current and former students, encouraging her graduates to be an active group and attend events such as campaign launches and TVNZ debates in the 2014 NZ election. Her last 3 Masters students obtained jobs immediately after completing their thesis. Check out this video with MA student Tom James who developed a passion for working in market research whilst studying under Jennifer, and got a job with Colmar Brunton with his role including research for government.
Academic Advisor to TVNZ's Kiwimeter, 2016
2016 Keynote (English language) for the Canadian Communication Association conference in Calgary ‘Everybody's talking at me: managing the incessant communication of public input to our political leaders.’
Chair of the Magna Carta 800th Committee for New Zealand in 2015
CLeaR Fellow in Teaching and Learning for 2015 on the theme Student engagement and achievement, completing an online resource to help academics teach the practice of politics
Academic Advisor to TVNZ's Vote Compass for the 2014 New Zealand Election
Fellow of the Political Management Programme at Carleton University in Canada
President of the NZPSA (New Zealand Political Studies Association) 2011-2012
In 2017 Jennifer is leading the employability aspect of the BA Arts Renewal Project.
Areas of expertise
Political marketing, political management, political communication, parties and elections, media, political leadership, consultation, deliberation and public input.
Recent activities include:
- Communications officer for the PSA Political Marketing Group
- Member of the Reference Group on the University Graduate Profile
- Political Science Keynote at the Contested Democracy Conference, University Paris Sobonne Nouvelle, Paris, 2012
- Member of the internal social sciences committee for the PBRF research exercise
- Member of IAP2 Auckland branch organising committee
- Training on the Practice of Political Marketing delivered to Carleton University political management graduate students
- Training day on Political Marketing delivered to Auckland University Labour students
- Invited trainer for the Government of Macedonia’s Training for Young Leaders, to teach Political Marketing and Leadership
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lees-Marshment, J. (2016). Deliberative Political Leaders: The Role of Policy Input in Political Leadership. Politics and Governance, 4 (2), 25-25. 10.17645/pag.v4i2.560
- Lees-Marshment, J., Dufresne, Y., Eady, G., Osborne, D., van der Linden, C., & Vowles, J. (2015). Vote Compass in the 2014 New Zealand election: Hearing the voice of New Zealand voters. Political Science, 67 (2), 94-124. 10.1177/0032318715609076
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Danny Osborne
- Lees-Marshment, J. (2015). The Democratic Contribution of Political Market Researchers. Journal of Public Affairs, 15 (1), 4-13. 10.1002/pa.1461
- Lees-Marshment, J. (2015). The Ministry of Public Input: Integrating citizen views into political leadership. UK: Palgrave Macmillan. Pages: 296. 10.1057/9781137017789
- Lees-Marshment, J., & Pettitt, R. (2014). Mobilising Volunteer Activists in Political Parties: The view from central office. Contemporary Politics10.1080/13569775.2014.907991
- Esselment, A. L., Lees-Marshment, J., & Marland, A. (2014). The Nature of Political Advising to Prime Ministers in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. Commonwealth & Comparative Politics, 52 (3), 358-375. 10.1080/14662043.2014.919731
- Lees-Marshment, J., Conley, B., & Cosgrove, K. (Eds.) (2014). Political Marketing in the United States. New York, USA: Routledge. Pages: 318. Related URL.
- Lees-Marshment, J. (Ed.) (2012). Routledge Handbook of Political Marketing. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. Pages: 388. Related URL.