Dr Jennifer Susan Lees-Marshment
BA(Hons) (Keele), MA (Distinction) (Manchester), PhD (Keele)
Dr Jennifer Lees-Marshment was lecturer and senior lecturer in the UK at Keele University and Aberdeen University before joining Auckland in November 2005 as a senior lecturer, then senior lecturer over the bar, then Associate Professor in 2012.
Research | Current
Dr Lees-Marshment is a research-led but practice-oriented academic who researches the relationship between politicians, government and public opinion, mainly through the field of political marketing which she has established international expertise in, but more recently, political leadership. She is author/editor of 13 books. Her forthcoming book The Ministry of Public Input considers how public input through different forms (market research, consultation and deliberation) can be integrated into political leadership, and draws on 51 interviews with ministers in the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the US about public input in government.
Jennifer also aims to support the work of other scholars through research organisation and nurturing leadership, and engage in transfer knowledge through involving practitioners in academic life and applying research to practice.
In her teaching she seeks to embed transferrable skills and applied work alongside a philosophy of collaborative teaching using peer tutors and online resources and in particular a new course The Practice of Politics. She also teaches courses on Political Marketing and Political Management in Government. See www.lees-marshment.org for further details.
Teaching | Current
Availability in 2015
Political Marketing - see www.political-marketing.org
The Practice of Politics - see https://www.coursebuilder.cad.auckland.ac.nz/flexiblelearning/practice-of-politics/ (Auckland login only)
|POLITICS 704||Political Management in Government||Semester 1|
Dr Lees-Marshment currently has an active group of research students who meet socially and attend events such as campaign launches and TVNZ debates in the 2014 NZ election. Her students work on topics such as market-oriented communication of leaders, political public relations, branding government departments, using e-marketing to stimulate party participation, and e-consultation. Jennifer can supervise suitable topics in political leadership, consultation, deliberation, parties, elections, interest-groups and political marketing.
Chair of the Magna Carta 800th Committee for New Zealand
Academic advisor to TVNZ's Vote Compass for the 2014 New Zealand Election
CLeaR Fellow in Teaching and Learning for 2015 on the theme Student engagement and achievement
Fellow of the Political Management Programme at Carleton University in Canada
President of the NZPSA (New Zealand Political Studies Association) 2011-2012
Politics representative for the School of Social Sciences Research Committee
Areas of expertise
Political marketing, political leadership, consultation, deliberation and public input
Recent activities (since 2012) include:
- Communications officer for the PSA Political Marketing Group
- Member of the Reference Group on the University Graduate Profile
- Political Science Keynote at the Contested Democracy Conference, University Paris Sobonne Nouvelle, Paris
- Member of the internal social sciences committee for the PBRF research exercise
- Member of IAP2 Auckland branch organising committee
- Training on the Practice of Political Marketing delivered to Carleton University political management graduate students
- Training day on Political Marketing delivered to Auckland University Labour students
- Invited trainer for the Government of Macedonia’s Training for Young Leaders, to teach Political Marketing and Leadership
- Chair of the Departmental Research Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lees-Marshment, J. (2015). The Ministry of Public Input: Integrating citizen views into political leadership. UK: Palgrave Macmillan. Pages: 296.
- Lees-Marshment, J. (2014). The Ministry of Public Input: Report and Recommendations for Practice. ,
- Lees-Marshment, J., & Pettitt, R. (2014). Mobilising Volunteer Activists in Political Parties: The view from central office. Contemporary Politics. 10.1080/13569775.2014.907991
- Esselment, A. L., Lees-Marshment, J., & Marland, A. (2014). The Nature of Political Advising to Prime Ministers in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. Commonwealth & Comparative Politics, 52 (3), 358-375. 10.1080/14662043.2014.919731
- Lees-Marshment, J. (2014). Political Marketing: Principles and Applications (2nd). Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. Pages: 290.
- Lees-Marshment, J., Conley, B., & Cosgrove, K. (Eds.) (2014). Political Marketing in the United States. New York, USA: Routledge. Pages: 318.
- Lees-Marshment, J. (Ed.) (2012). Routledge Handbook of Political Marketing. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. Pages: 388.
- Marland, A., Giasson, T., & Lees-Marshment, J. (Eds.) (2012). Political Marketing in Canada. Vancouver: UBC Press. Pages: 305.
- +64 9 923 9388
- Media Contact
HUMAN SCIENCES BUILDING - EAST
Level 5, Room 201E-504
10 SYMONDS ST