Dr Jesse Hession Grayman
MA, MPH (University of Michigan); PhD (Harvard University)
Research | Current
- Social Anthropology
- Medical Anthropology
- Development Studies
- Global Public Health
- Political Violence
- Conflict and Development
- Social Suffering
- Community Driven Development
- Media Technologies
- Internally Displaced Populations
- Southeast Asian Studies
Teaching | Current
DEVELOP 701 Development Praxis
DEVELOP 715 Independent Research
DEVELOP 716 Global Health and Development
DEVELOP 717 Humanitarian Interventions
Devon Hanna: "The Shifting Landscape of Expertise in Disaster Intervention: Humanitarian Subjectivities of the Shaky Isles" (MA Thesis, 2017)
Gladys Ann Gatuz Rabacal: "Discourses of Participation in the Philippines’ Bottom-up Budgeting Program" (MA Thesis, 2016)
Hyun Suk (Henry) Oh: "Urban Poverty in an East Asian Welfare State: Challenges Faced by the Elderly Population in Seoul" (MA Thesis, 2015)
Areas of expertise
social anthropology; medical anthropology; development studies; humanitarianism; global public health; political violence; conflict and development; social suffering; community driven development; media technologies; epidemiology; internally displaced populations; Southeast Asian studies
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Grayman, J. H. (2017). Topography and scale in a community-driven maternal and child health program in Eastern Indonesia. Medicine Anthropology Theory, 4 (1), 46-78. 10.17157/mat.4.1.364
- Grayman, J. H. (2016). Official and unrecognized narratives of recovery in post conflict Aceh, Indonesia. Critical Asian Studies, 48 (4), 528-555. 10.1080/14672715.2016.1224125
- Grayman, J. H. (2015). “We build our own stories”: The 19th-century figure and 21st-century myth of the Acehnese poet Dôkarim. Indonesia (99), 51-65. 10.5728/indonesia.99.0051
- Good, B. J., Grayman, J. H., & Good, M. J. D. V. (2015). Humanitarianism and ‘‘Mobile Sovereignty’’ in Strong State Settings: Reflections on Medical Humanitarianism in Aceh, Indonesia. In S. Abramowitz, C. Panter-Brick (Eds.) Medical Humanitarianism: Ethnographies of Practice (pp. 155-175). Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. Related URL.
- (2014). Rapid response: Email, immediacy, and medical humanitarianism in Aceh, Indonesia. Social Science and Medicine, 120, 334-343. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.04.024
- Grayman, J. H., & Anderson, B. (2014). Conjuring Zones of Insecurity: Post-Conflict Election Campaigning by Text Message in Aceh, Indonesia. In R. Vazquez Llorente, I. Wall (Eds.) Technology and Humanitarian Delivery: Challenges and opportunities for security risk management (pp. 22-26). European Interagency Security Forum (EISF). Related URL.
- Grayman, J. H. (2014). A Mysterious Outsider in Aceh. http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/07/01/a-mysterious-outsider-in-aceh/. Related URL.
- Grayman, J. (2013). Ex-Combatant. In J. Barker, E. Harms, J. Lindquist (Eds.) Figures of Southeast Asian Modernity (pp. 146-148). Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press. Related URL.