Associate Professor Iain Bell Buchanan
BA (Manchester), MA (Essex)
- Associate Professor
- Postgraduate adviser
Patronage and collecting of 16th century art; Flemish tapestries.
Research | Current
- Patronage and collecting of 16th century art
- Flemish tapestries
Iain Buchanan is a specialist in Northern Renaissance Art, with a particular interest in the patronage and collecting of sixteenth century painting, printmaking and tapestry. He has published widely in these areas with articles on Pieter Bruegel, Dürer, and Flemish tapestry in the Burlington Magazine, the Gazette des Beaux Arts, and other international periodicals. He is now completing a book on the tapestries purchased and commissioned by the Habsburg rulers of the Netherlands – the Emperor Charles V, his aunt Margaret of Austria, his sister Mary of Hungary and his son Philip II of Spain. Some of this material has already appeared in article form. He also has a special interest in Frances Hodgkins and 20th century British art, on which he has co-authored two books and several articles.
Teaching | Current
ARTHIST 107 Art and the City: 1400-1700
ARTHIST 203 Northern European Art 1400 – 1600
ARTHIST 303 Northern European Art 1400 – 1600
ARTHIST 718AB Museums: Past and Present
ARTHIST 735 The Renaissance Print
MUSEUMS 750 Museums Past and Present
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Buchanan, I. (2016). 'The Four Winds' the house of the Antwerp print Publisher Hieronymus Cock. The Burlington Magazine, 158 (1355), 87-93.
- Buchanan, I. (2015). Giovanni Battista Lodi da Cremona and the story of Mercury and Herse Tapestry series. Metropolitan Museum Journal, 50, 136-145. 10.1086/685677
- Buchanan, I. (2014). The conquest of Tunis. Grand design: Pieter Coecke van Aelst and Renaissance tapestry (pp. 320-331). New York, NY; New Haven, Connecticut, USA: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Yale University Press.
- Buchanan, I. (2014). The story of Joshua. Grand design: Pieter Coecke van Aelst and Renaissance tapestry (pp. 214-220). New York, NY; New Haven, Connecticut, USA: Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Yale University Press.
- Buchanan, I. B. (2008). The Tapestry Collection of Mary of Hungary. In M. R. D. Mariemont, B. Federinov, G. Docquier (Eds.) Marie de Hongrie: Politique et culture sous la Renaissance aux Pays-Bas (pp. 145-155). Mariemont: Musee royal de Mariemont.
- Buchanan, I. B. (2007). The tapestries of the Count of Mansfeld. In J.-L. Mousset, K. De Jonge (Eds.) Un prince de la Renaissance, Pierre-Ernst de Mansfeld, 1517-1604, volume 2 essays (pp. 147-156). Luxembourg: Musee national d'histoire et d'art Luxembourg.
- Buchanan, I. B. (2006). The contract for King Phillip II's tapestries of 'The History of Noah'. The Burlington Magazine, 148, 406-415.