Dr Helen Louise Basturkmen
I have been a lecturer in the Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics for over ten years. Prior to this, I worked as a lecturer and in the Office of Consultation and Training at the University of Kuwait and as a lecturer and teacher educator (Diploma in Language Teaching) in Turkey. Currently I am on the editorial review board of two journals: Journal of English for Academic Purposes and New Zealand Studies in Applied Linguistics.
Research | Current
- English for specific purposes
- Discourse analysis: cohesion and coherence; pragmatics and genre analysis
- Feedback on written discourse
Current research projects include a genre-based investigation into disciplinary variation in research reporting and a study of supervisor feedback on writing in dissertations.
Teaching | Current
I am currently supervising students who are researching:
- Teachers’ provision of feedback on discourse features in students’ writing
- Focus on form in web-based task interaction
- Collaborative teaching and language use in the L2 classroom
- Oral corrective feedback, noticing and second language acquisition
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Basturkmen, H. L. (2013). Developing English for Specific Purposes Courses. Paper presented at 4th English for Specific Purposes Conference, Hochschule, Ulm, Germany. 4 October - 5 October 2013.
- Basturkmen, H. L. (2013). Needs analysis and syllabus design for LSP. In C. A. Chapelle (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics (pp. 4209-4217). Chichester, West Sussex, UK: Wiley Blackwell.
- Nguyen Thi Thuy Minh, & Basturkmen, H. L. (2013). Requesting in Vietnamese as a second language. In Roever, C, H. T. Nguyen (Eds.) Pragmatics of Vietnamese as a native and target language (pp. 13-75). Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA: National Foreign Language Resource Center, University of Hawai'i.
- Basturkmen, H. L. (2013). Between territories and domains: ESP-oriented enquiry in the borders -- Course development, genre analysis and the role of ESP in education (Fully funded plenary address). Paper presented at 34th GERAS International Conference, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan, Paris, France.. 22 March - 23 March 2013.
- Basturkmen, H. (2012). Review of research into the correspondence between language teachers' stated beliefs and practices. System, 40 (2), 282-295. 10.1016/j.system.2012.05.001
- Basturkmen, H. (2012). Languages for Specific Purposes Curriculum Creation and Implementation in Australasia and Europe. MODERN LANGUAGE JOURNAL, 96, 59-70. 10.1111/j.1540-4781.2012.01297.x
- Nesi, H, & Basturkmen, H. L. (2012). Lexical bundles and discourse signalling in academic lectures. In Biber, D, Reppen, R (Eds.) Corpus Linguistics (pp. 287-306). Los Angeles: Sage.
- Basturkmen, H. (2011). A genre-based investigation of discussion sections of research articles in Dentistry and disciplinary variation. Journal of English for Academic Purposes. 10.1061/j.jeap.2011.10.004