Associate Professor Helen Louise Basturkmen
I have worked in Applied Language Studies and Linguistics at the University of Auckland since 1998. Prior to this, I worked as a lecturer and teacher educator in Turkey and the Middle East. Currently I am on the editorial review board of three journals: Journal of English for Academic Purposes, Studies in Second Language Teaching and Learning and New Zealand Studies in Applied Linguistics.
Research | Current
- English for specific purposes ESP
- English for academic purposes EAP
- Discourse analysis: cohesion and coherence; pragmatics and genre analysis
Current research projects include a study of teacher expertise in EAP/ESP, a genre-based investigation of disciplinary variation in research reporting and a study of metadiscourse in written study genres.
Teaching | Current
LANGTCHG 101 Introduction to Language Teaching
LANGTCHG 205 Developing Literacy in a Second Language
LANGTCHG 754 English for Specific Purposes
I am currently supervising students who are researching:
- Provision of feedback on discourse features in students’ writing
- Genre analysis of discussion in research articles
- Metadiscourse in research conference presentations
Areas of expertise
Course/programme development and evaluation
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Basturkmen, H. (Ed.) (2015). English for Academic Purposes (in series critical concepts in linguistics). Routledge. Pages: 1598.
- Basturkmen, H., & von Randow, J. (2014). Guiding the reader (or not) to re-create coherence: Observations on postgraduate student writing in an academic argumentative writing task. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 16, 14-22. 10.1016/j.jeap.2014.07.005
- Basturkmen, H. L. (2014). Replication research in comparative genre analysis in English for Academic Purposes. Language Teaching, 47 (3), 377-386. 10.1017/S0261444814000081
- Basturkmen, H. L. (2013). Needs analysis and syllabus design for LSP. In C. A. Chapelle (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics (pp. 4209-4217). Chichester, West Sussex, UK: Wiley Blackwell.
- Basturkmen, H. L. (2013). Between territories and domains: ESP-oriented enquiry in the borders -- Course development, genre analysis and the role of ESP in education (Fully funded plenary address). Paper presented at 34th GERAS International Conference, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan, Paris, France.. 22 March - 23 March 2013.
- Basturkmen, H. (2012). Review of research into the correspondence between language teachers' stated beliefs and practices. System, 40 (2), 282-295. 10.1016/j.system.2012.05.001
- Basturkmen, H. (2012). Languages for Specific Purposes Curriculum Creation and Implementation in Australasia and Europe. MODERN LANGUAGE JOURNAL, 96, 59-70. 10.1111/j.1540-4781.2012.01297.x
- Basturkmen, H. (2011). A genre-based investigation of discussion sections of research articles in Dentistry and disciplinary variation. Journal of English for Academic Purposes. 10.1061/j.jeap.2011.10.004