Professor Frederick William Kroon
MA (Auckland), PhD (Princeton)
Research | Current
Research interests: Philosophy of language, especially theory of reference, pretence theory, and fictionalist accounts of linguistic practices; philosophy of fiction; philosophy of computation; philosophical logic, in particular semantic paradoxes; metaphysics, especially meta-ontology, the nature of existence and non-existence, and intentional objects
Current research is centred on fictionalism, and on using pretence theory to help solve problems in philosophical logic
Teaching | Current
COMPSCI 350 Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science
LOGICOMP 301 Philosophy and Computing
PHIL 202 Philosophy of Language
PHIL 306 Language, Truth and Meaning
PHIL 739 Philosophy of Language
PHIL 747 Epistemology 1
Tahua O’leary, ‘Naturalising the Unity of Desires: Michael Smith on the Analysis of 'Right'’
Marinus Ferreira, ‘Limited Conventionalism of Morals’
Bruce Sheridan, ‘Imagination and Creativity’
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Kripke's 'Reference and Existence' Forty Years On. Paper presented at Australasian Association of Philosophy NZ Conference, Auckland, New Zealand. 8 December - 12 December 2013.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Kripke's 'Reference and Existence' Forty Years On. Paper presented at 23rd World Congress of Philosophy, Athens, Greece. 4 August - 10 August 2013.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Phenomenal Intentionality and the Role of Intentional Objects. In U. Kriegel (Ed.) Phenomenal Intentionality (pp. 137-155). New York (NY), Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). The Social Character of Fictional Entities. In C. Barbero, M. Ferraris, A. Voltolini (Eds.) From Fictionalism to Realism (pp. 87-110). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Intentional Objects, Pretence, and the Quasi-relational Nature of Mental Phenomena: A new look at Brentano on Intentionality. International Journal of Philosophical Studies, 21 (3), 377-393.
- Kroon, B., Kroon, F. W., Holt, S., Wong, B., & Yazdani, A. (2012). Post-mortem Sperm Retrieval in Australasia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 52 (5), 487-490. 10.1111/j.1479-828X.2012.01469.x
- Kroon, F. W. (2012). Characterization and Existence in Modal Meinongianism. Grazer Philosophische Studien: Internationale Zeitschrift fuer analytische Philosophie, 86, 23-34.
- Kroon, F. W. (2011). Fictionalism in metaphysics. Philosophy Compass, 6 (11), 786-803. 10.1111/j.1747-9991.2011.00442.x