Professor Frederick William Kroon
MA (Auckland), PhD (Princeton)
Research | Current
Research interests: Philosophy of language, especially theory of reference, pretence theory, and fictionalist accounts of linguistic practices; philosophy of fiction; philosophy of computation; philosophical logic, in particular semantic paradoxes; metaphysics, especially meta-ontology, the nature of existence and non-existence, and intentional objects
Current research is centred on fictionalism, and on using pretence theory to help solve problems in philosophical logic
Teaching | Current
Disciplinary Area: Philosophy, School of Humanities
On leave Semester 2 2015
Course Title Availability in 2016
|PHIL 202||Philosophy of Language||Semester 2|
|PHIL 739||Philosophy of Language||Semester 2|
|LOGICOMP 301||Philosophy and Computing||Semester 1|
|PHIL 306||Language, Truth and Meaning||Not offered in 2016|
|PHIL 322||Philosophy of Language||Semester 2|
|COMPSCI 350||Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science||Semester 1|
|PHIL 747||Epistemology 1||Not offered in 2016|
Tahua O’leary, ‘Naturalising the Unity of Desires: Michael Smith on the Analysis of 'Right'’
Marinus Ferreira, ‘Limited Conventionalism of Morals’
Bruce Sheridan, ‘Imagination and Creativity’
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Kripke's 'Reference and Existence' Forty Years On. Paper presented at Australasian Association of Philosophy NZ Conference, Auckland, New Zealand. 8 December - 12 December 2013.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Kripke's 'Reference and Existence' Forty Years On. Paper presented at 23rd World Congress of Philosophy, Athens, Greece. 4 August - 10 August 2013.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Phenomenal Intentionality and the Role of Intentional Objects. In U. Kriegel (Ed.) Phenomenal Intentionality (pp. 137-155). New York (NY), Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). The Social Character of Fictional Entities. In C. Barbero, M. Ferraris, A. Voltolini (Eds.) From Fictionalism to Realism (pp. 87-110). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Kroon, F. W. (2013). Intentional Objects, Pretence, and the Quasi-relational Nature of Mental Phenomena: A new look at Brentano on Intentionality. International Journal of Philosophical Studies, 21 (3), 377-393.
- Kroon, B., Kroon, F. W., Holt, S., Wong, B., & Yazdani, A. (2012). Post-mortem Sperm Retrieval in Australasia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 52 (5), 487-490. 10.1111/j.1479-828X.2012.01469.x
- Kroon, F. W. (2012). Characterization and Existence in Modal Meinongianism. Grazer Philosophische Studien: Internationale Zeitschrift fuer analytische Philosophie, 86, 23-34.
- Kroon, F. W. (2011). Fictionalism in metaphysics. Philosophy Compass, 6 (11), 786-803. 10.1111/j.1747-9991.2011.00442.x