Dr Emma Creagh Ruth Willis
- Lecturer in Drama
Research | Current
- Contemporary theatre
- Theatre and ethics
- Tourism and memorial studies
- Dance theatre
My scholarly research lies at the intersection of contemporary performance, spectatorship and ethics. I am interested in the role that theatre and theatricality play in our negotiations of subjectivity, community and responsibility in contemporary life.
Areas of expertise
Drama, theatre, dancetheatre
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Willis, E. C. (2017). 'A rare opportunity to fail': STAB's legacy of theatrical experimentation. Australasian Drama Studies (70), 86-112.
- Willis, E. (2016). Against the tidal forces of the day: idiorrhythmy, communitas, and the syncopated subject in the work of Erika Vogt and Jérôme Bel. Paper presented at PSi 22: Performance Climates, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia. 5 July - 9 July 2016.
- Willis, E. (2016). Metatheatre and Dramaturgies of Reception in Jackie Sibblies Drury’s We Are Proud to Present... Journal of Contemporary Drama in English, 4 (1), 196-211. 10.1515/jcde-2016-0015
- Willis, E. C. (2015). Dark Tourism: Dramas of Absence. 6 October - 6 October 2015. "Hitler Oaks, Dark Tourism, Holocaust Memorial Spaces: Ann Shelton, Emma Willis, Miri Young. City Gallery, Wellington, New Zealand.. Related URL.
- Willis, E. C. (2015). Remembering scenes of violence: stylization and abstraction of violence on stage. Testimony Between History and Memory, 121, 56-67. Related URL.
- Willis, E. C. (2015). Book review: Trauma and Affective Spill - Performing Feeling in Cultures of Memory by Bryoni Trezise, Palgrave Macmillan, London, 2014. Cultural Studies Review, 21 (2), 253-260. 10.5130/csr.v21i2.4647
- Willis, E. (2015). Third term and dramatic character - 'it's going to have to remain complicated'. Paper presented at “Theatre and Spectatorship” 24th Annual Conference of the German Society for Contemporary Theatre and Drama in English (CDE), Barcelona. 4 June - 7 June 2015. Related URL.
- Willis, E. C. (2015). Review of "Visions and Revisions: Performance, Memory, Trauma" edited by Bryoni Trezise and Caroline Wake. Australasian Drama Studies (66), 261-266. Related URL.