Dr Diana Feick
Dr. phil. (Leipzig, Germany); Magister Artium (Leipzig, Germany)
Dr Diana Feick is Senior Lecturer in German and Applied Linguistics at the University of Auckland. After gaining her Masters from the University of Leipzig in 2004, Diana was Lecturer of German as a Foreign Language at the National University of Colombia in Bogotá. She completed her PhD in 2015 at the University of Leipzig. Diana has arrived in 2017 from Austria, where she held a post-doc position in German as a Foreign and Second Language at the University of Vienna. So far, her vocation as a German teacher trainer has taken her to countries like Benin, Chile, Colombia, Egypt, Greece, Mexcio, Spain, Togo, the UK and Vietnam.
Research | Current
- Teaching and learning of German as a second/foreign language
- Mobile learning
- Digital media
- Learner autonomy
- Classroom interaction research
Teaching | Current
LANGTCHG 304 The Young Second Language Learner
I welcome inquiries from prospective students who are interested in topics related to my general research interests.
Rietze, Julia (in progress). Motivation, identity and the affective domain in narratives of German family heritage language users in New Zealand. (co-supervisor)
Irvine, Melissa (in progress). An emerging language variety in St. Lucia. (co-supervisor)
Areas of expertise
- German as a second/foreign language
- Language teacher education
- Digital media in foreign language learning
Member of the Arts Scholars Board
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Feick, D. (2018). Social autonomy and decision making in L2 group work. Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, 9 (3), 280-305. Related URL.
- Feick, D. (2018). Multimodal aspects of decision making in L2 group work. Paper presented at Sociolinguistics Symposium, Auckland, New Zealand. 27 June - 30 June 2018. Related URL.
- Feick, D. (2018). Ist das eine Gruppenentscheidung? Zur sozialen Autonomie in Lernendengruppen. Paper presented at German Studies Association of Australia (GSAA) International Conference, Wellington, New Zealand. 28 November - 30 November 2018.
- Feick, D. (2018). Is this a group decision? Creating social autonomy in language learners. Paper presented at NZALT 2018 conference: Exploring other worlds through languages, Auckland, New Zealand. 8 July - 11 July 2018.
- Feick, D. (2018). German as a heritage language in New Zealand. Time to act?. Paper presented at CLESOL 2018, Christuchurch, New Zealand. 5 October - 7 October 2018.
- Feick, D. (2018). Diagnostik in der Erwachsenenbildung (Diagnostics in adult education). In Grießhaber W, H. Roll, K. Schramm, Schmölzer-Eibinger S (Eds.) Schreiben in der Zweitsprache Deutsch: Ein Handbuch (Writing in German as a second language: A handbook) (pp. 247-264). Berlin, Germany: De Gruyter Mouton. 10.1515/9783110354577-017
- Feick, D., & Dawidowicz, Marta (2018). Mehr als Alphabet - Förderung des zweitsprachlichen Schriftspracherwerbs von Seiteneinsteigerinnnen und Seiteneinsteigern (More than alphabet - promotion of second-language literary acquisition of lateral entrants). In D. Gebele, A. L. Zepter (Eds.) Deutsch als Zweitsprache. Unterricht mit neu zugewanderten Kindern und Jugendlichen (German as second language. Lessons with newly immigrated children and adolescents) (pp. 94-108). Baltmannsweiler, Germany: Schneider Verlag. Related URL.
- Feick, D. (2018). Differenzierung weiterdenken: Lernortspezifik durch mobiles Lernen im Fremdsprachenunterricht (Think differentiation further: Learning specificity through mobile learning in foreign language teaching). Fremdsprachen lehren und lernen (Teach and Learn Foreign Languages), 47 (2), 84-98.