Dr Daniela Cavallaro
Diploma de Estudios Hispanicos (Univ. de Salamanca) , Laurea (Univ. di Roma) , MA (Ohio State Univ.) , PhD (Northwestern University)
Daniela Cavallaro joined the Italian Department in 1997 after teaching Italian and Humanities at the University of Puerto Rico and at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She has published in the fields of 20th century Italian novel, Spanish and Italian women's theatre, Italian cinema, and South Pacific literature. She is currently researching works by modern Italian women playwrights.
Research | Current
- Contemporary Italian fiction and drama
- Rewriting of classical literature
- Women’s theatre
Teaching | Current
ITALIAN 106 Elementary Italian Language 1
ITALIAN 107 Elementary Italian Language 2
ITALIAN 200 Intermediate Italian Language 1
ITALIAN 201 Intermediate Italian Language 2
ITALIAN 704 Special Topic
ITALIAN 780 Dissertation
I welcome enquiries from prospective students who are interested in topics related to my general research interests: contemporary Italian fiction and drama; Italian women writers (women playwrights, in particular); revision of classical literature; adaptation.
Undergraduate advisor for Italian
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Cavallaro, D. (2018). Who says you can’t be a saint? Female saints as heroes on the Italian catholic stage. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 58 (4), 444-459. 10.1177/0022167817722272
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). The Oratorio Femminile: Young women’s socialization and growth in post-war Italy. GSI: Gender/Sexuality/Italy, 4, 25-47.
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). Hurried steps: Passi affrettati nei paesi di lingua inglese (Hurried steps in English-speaking countries). In M. Bertone, B. Meazzi (Eds.) Curiosa di mestiere. Saggi su Dacia Maraini (Curious by profession: Essays on Dacia Maraini) (pp. 141-152). Pisa, Italy: Edizioni ETS.
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). Educational theatre for women in post-World War II Italy: A stage of their own. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan. Pages: 265. 10.1057/978-1-349-95096-6
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). From fairy tale to hysteria: Women in Italian theater in the early 1950s. In V. Picchietti, L. A. Salsini (Eds.) Writing and performing female identity in Italian culture (pp. 127-151). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International. 10.1007/978-3-319-40835-4_7
- Cavallaro, D. (2016). Female detectives in 1950s Salesian educational theatre. Quaderni d'Italianistica, 37 (1), 35-54.
- Cavallaro, D. (2015). Wellington 2013 – Of marriages and happy endings: A reading of Clotilde Masci’s "Vigilia nuziale". altrelettere10.5903/al_uzh-29
- Cavallaro, D. (2015). Before Filumena: Paola Riccora's Neapolitan Prostitutes. Italica, 92 (1), 43-61.