Dr Daniela Cavallaro
Diploma de Estudios Hispanicos (Univ. de Salamanca) , Laurea (Univ. di Roma) , MA (Ohio State Univ.) , PhD (Northwestern University)
Daniela Cavallaro joined the Italian Department in 1997 after teaching Italian and Humanities at the University of Puerto Rico and at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She has published in the fields of 20th century Italian novel, Spanish and Italian women's theatre, Italian cinema, and South Pacific literature. She is currently researching works by modern Italian women playwrights.
Research | Current
- Contemporary Italian fiction and drama
- Rewriting of classical literature
- Women’s theatre
Teaching | Current
ITALIAN 200 Intermediate Italian Language 1
ITALIAN 201 Intermediate Italian Language 2
I welcome enquiries from prospective students who are interested in topics related to my general research interests: contemporary Italian fiction and drama; Italian women writers (women playwrights, in particular); revision of classical literature; adaptation.
Convenor for Italian
Undergraduate advisor for Italian
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Cavallaro, D. (2017). Who Says You Can’t Be a Saint? Female Saints as Heroes on the Italian Catholic Stage. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 002216781772227-002216781772227. 10.1177/0022167817722272
- Cavallaro, D. (2015). Wellington 2013 – Of marriages and happy endings: A reading of Clotilde Masci’s "Vigilia nuziale". altrelettere10.5903/al_uzh-29
- Cavallaro, D. (2015). Before Filumena: Paola Riccora's Neapolitan Prostitutes. Italica, 92 (1), 43-61.
- Cavallaro, D. (2013). Demons and Angels: Morality Plays in the Context of Salesian Educational Theatre for Young Women. The International Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Society, 2 (2), 43-52. Related URL.
- Cavallaro, D. (2013). Il gioco del rovescio: Bassani's Gli occhiali d'oro and Tabucchi's Sostiene Pereira. Italica, 90 (3), 451-472. Related URL.
- Cavallaro, D. (2011). The dazzling hour: An italian comedy adapted for the american stage. Theatre Survey, 52 (2), 251-273. 10.1017/S004055741100038X
- Cavallaro, D. (2011). Salesian Theatre for Young Women in Post-World War II Italy. Ecumenica, 4 (2), 25-50.
- Cavallaro, D. (2011). Italian Women's Theatre, 1930-1960: an anthology of plays. Bristol: Intellect Ltd. Pages: 392.