Dr Caroline Vercoe
Recently Caroline acted as a curatorial advisor for Paradise Now? Contemporary Art from the Pacific, the first major exhibition examining contemporary art from New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, opening at the Asia Society Museum in New York in 2004.
She was also on the advisory committee for Only Skin Deep: Changing Visions of the American Self (curated by Coco Fusco and Brian Wallis) a major exhibition exploring the construction of race and nation through photographyin the United States, which opened in 2003 at the Institute of Contemporary Photography in New York. She has essays in both exhibition catalogues.
Research | Current
- Contemporary Pacific art practice
- Post-colonial theory
- Non-western feminisms
- Photography and representation
Her research interests include contemporary Pacific art, in particular Pacific artists based in New Zealand, visual culture in the Pacific with a focus on postcards taken in the Pacific, and performance art. She has published in a number of journals including the Journal of Pacific History,The Journal of New Zealand Art History and Art Asia Pacific, and books including Pacific Art Niu Sila: Pacific Heritage in the Arts (Te Papa Press, Sean Mallon and Pandora Pereira, 2002) and The Bodies That Were Not Ours and Other Writings (Routledge, Coco Fusco, 2001). Her writing also features on the London based Digital Archive of the Institute of International Visual Art.
Teaching | Current
ARTHIST 115 Global Art Histories
ARTHIST 217 Contemporary Pacific Art
ARTHIST 317 Contemporary Pacific Art
ARTHIST 730AB Topics in Māori and Pacific Art and Visual Culture
ARTHIST 731 Sites of Resistance
ARTHIST 732 Topics in Pacific Art and Visual Culture
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Vercoe, C. R. (2013). Art. In M. Rapaport (Ed.) The Pacific Islands: Environment and Society (pp. 685-716). Honolulu, Hawaii: University of Hawaii Press.
- Vercoe, C. (2013). I Am My Other, I Am My Self: Encounters with Gauguin in Polynesia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Art, 13 (1), 104-125. 10.1080/14434318.2013.11432645
- Vercoe, C. R. (2004). The Many Faces of Paradise. In Melissa Chiu (Ed.) Paradise Now? Contemporary Art From the Pacific (pp. 35-47). Auckland: David Bateman in association with Asia Society.
- Vercoe, C. R. (2000). Agency and ambivalence: A reading of Works by Coco Fusco. In K. King, D. W. King (Eds.) Body Politics and the Fictional Double (pp. 80-104). Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Vercoe, C. R. (1997). Not So Nice Coloured Girls: A View of Tracey Moffatt's Nice Coloured Girls. Pacific Studies, 20 (4), 151-160. Related URL.