Professor Bernadette Luciano
BA, MA (Stanford), PhD (Columbia)
Bernadette Luciano is Professor of Italian in the Faculty of Arts. She joined the Italian Department in 1994 after having taught at the University of California, Santa Barbara; Columbia University; the University of Minnesota; California State University San Diego and Stanford University.
She has published articles and book chapters on Italian cinema; film adaptation; Italian women’s historical novels; women’s autobiographical writing; the theory and practice of translation and subtitling; and issues of identity, migration and transnationalism in literature and film. She has co-edited an interdisciplinary book on cross-cultural encounters between New Zealand and Europe. She is author of The Cinema of Silvio Soldini: Dream, Image, Voyage (2008) and of the co-authored book (with Susanna Scarparo), Reframing Italy: New Trends in Italian Women's Filmmaking (Purdue University Press, 2013).
Research | Current
- Contemporary Italian cinema and documentary
- Women’s lifewriting
- Women’s activism
- Mobility and Transnational cinema
- Film adaptation
- Translation and Subtitling
Teaching | Current
COMPLIT 702 Rethinking Autobiography
EUROPEAN 200 Screening Europe
EUROPEAN 300 Screening Europe
ITALIAN 107 Italian Language for Beginners 2
ITALIAN 702 Advanced Italian Translation Practice
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Luciano, B., & Scarparo, S. (2017). Maternal ambivalence in contemporary Italian cinema. In G. Lerner, D'Amelio M (Eds.) Italian motherhood on screen (pp. 45-70). Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave MacMillan. 10.1007/978-3-319-56675-7_3
- Chung, H., & Luciano, B. (2015). Autonomous navigation? Multiplicity and self-reflexive aesthetics in Sergio Basso's documentary film Giallo a Milano and web documentary made in Chinatown. In C. Deprez, J. Pernin (Eds.) Post-1990 documentary: Reconfiguring independence (pp. 203-216). Edinburgh, UK: Edinburgh University Press.
- Luciano, B. (2015). 'There’s no place like home': The Anxiety of Mobility in the Works of Louise DeSalvo. altrelettere
- Luciano, B., & Scarparo, S. (2015). Regia: sostantivo femminile?. Quaderni del CSCI: Rivista annuale di cinema italiano, 11, 210-217. Related URL.
- Chung, H. J., & Luciano, B. (2015). Autonomous Navigation? Multiplicity and Self-reflexive Aesthetics in Sergio Basso's documentary film Giallo a Milano and web-documentary Made in Chinatown. In C. Deprez, J. Pernin (Eds.) Post-1990 Documentary: Reconfiguring Independence (pp. 203-216). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Hilary Chung
- Comand, M., Krasilovsky, A., Luciano, B., Russo, P., Selbo, J., & Tompkins, B. (2015). Italy. In J. Nelmes, J. Selbo (Eds.) Women screenwriters: An international guide (pp. 437-479). Hampshire, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Luciano, B. (2015). A short history of Italian women screenwriters. In J. Nelmes, J. Selbo (Eds.) Women screenwriters: An international guide (pp. 433-437). Hampshire, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Luciano, B., & Scarparo, S. (2014). Directing terramatta;. An interview with Costanza Quatriglio. Journal of Modern Italian Studies, 19 (3), 284-292. 10.1080/1354571X.2014.897439
Semester Two 2013: by appointment email@example.com
Primary office location
ARTS 2 - Bldg 207
Level 3, Room 318
18 SYMONDS ST