Planning your Certificate in Languages


The CertLang is taken part-time and is equivalent to one semester of full-time study. You would normally take it concurrently with enrolment in a degree. The time you take to complete will depend on how you structure your enrolment.

Planning your Certificate in Languages

Your CertLang must include: Courses/points
60 points 4 courses (15 point each)
One or two languages Language courses chosen from those available for the CertLang
Courses at more advanced levels Courses above Stage I: at least 2

You have considerable flexibility as to how you structure your study. It may be possible to obtain 15 points credit towards this qualification, including a General Education course.

Languages available

Chinese, Cook Islands Maori, Egyptian, French, German, Ancient Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, MāoriRussian, Samoan, Spanish, Tongan.

You may study one or two languages for the CertLang. Note that courses may not always be available in all languages.

Choosing your courses

Selected language courses are available for the CertLang. You must choose your courses from those listed in the schedule for the Certificate in Languages

Enrolling in language courses

You must enrol in the appropriate course for your level of competency. Some language courses are for beginners, while others are for more advanced learners or native speakers. Read the course description and if necessary seek advice from an Undergraduate Adviser.

Language study involves following a progressive sequence of courses, so check course prerequisites when planning your study. You may also have to meet co-requisites, i.e. concurrent enrolment in two specified courses.

Enrolment limits
The University limits how many points you can enrol in per year and per semester. You may enrol in up to 170 points in an academic year. Within this limit, you can take:

  • up to 80 points in each of Semesters One and Two, and
  • up to 30 points in Summer School.

Language Ability Declaration

If you want to study a modern language you must submit a Language Ability Declaration. This tells us about your background (if any) in the language and ensures you take the right course/s. You may also need to sit a placement test.

Learn more about first time enrolment in language courses