Finishing your degree

Find out what is involved in graduating, where you can get advice on employment opportunities and more.

Enrolling for your final year

It is your responsibility to make sure you meet the requirements for your degree and your major/minor. To avoid problems you will need to take care with your final year’s enrolment.

To check the requirements for your programme, see Plan Your Degree and information about planning your programme.

Before you enrol for your final year or final semester, we strongly advise you to check to see if you will complete requirements with the Arts Students’ Centre.


The process we use to check and approve students for graduation is known as completion checking.

What you need to do
Make sure that you keep your plan (major, minor) updated.

What we do
Every semester, after the final date to add or change courses, we run a report which identifies students who are close to finishing their degrees. We then manually check the record of each student identified by the report.

If our checks approve you to complete your degree:

  1. We will sign your record off as completing in the current semester.
  2. We forward this onto Student Records, who will indicate this with a computerised “flag”.
  3. Once exam results come through, Student Records will check that you have passed all your courses.
  4. If you have passed all your courses you can expect to receive a letter explaining how to apply for the next graduation ceremony and what the ceremony involves.

There is a time lapse between exam results and this letter. Signs will be posted around campus advising students when they can apply to attend graduation. If you have not heard anything by this time, please contact either the Arts Students’ Centre, or Student Records.

If our checks identify a problem

  1. We will send you a letter highlighting the issue.
  2. You will need to come in and discuss this with the Arts Students' Centre - they will talk you through the solutions available.

If you are completing the Certificate in Arts, this is not reviewed. You must contact Student Records to request the issue of your certificate.

View more information about graduation.

After your degree

For help with CV, interview preparation and job-hunting advice visit Career Development and Employment Services.

The University of Auckland has a recruitment website for students and graduates, the NZUniCareerhub.

Postgraduate study

Many students continue their studies. Find out more about postgraduate study.