First time enrolment in language courses

If you are enrolling in a language course for the first time we need to ensure that you are placed at the most appropriate level.

You need to complete a Language Ability Declaration at the same time as you enrol or before you apply for an enrolment concession.

Only Language Ability Declarations submitted from 1 November 2017 will be accepted for 2018 enrolments.

If you are applying as a school leaver you should complete the declaration only when you have received your school results and accepted an offer of admission into a programme, for example the Bachelor of Arts.

Spaces in language courses are limited, so early submission is recommended.

How to enrol in a language course for the first time for non-General Education students

1. Choose your language course by:

2. Complete a Language Ability Declaration.

3. Enrol on Student Services Online for beginner-level courses:

  • CHINESE 100
  • FRENCH 101
  • GERMAN 101
  • ITALIAN 106
  • JAPANESE 130
  • KOREAN 110
  • RUSSIAN 100
  • SPANISH 104

You must apply for an enrolment concession for all other language courses.

4. We will assess your declaration and notify you of your eligibility by email to your student email address.

How to enrol in a language course for General Education students

If you are enrolling in a language for General Education you can enrol directly on Student Services Online.

By enrolling in the General Education course you are declaring that you have no previous knowledge or study in the language.

Select the language you wish to enrol in for further information



You must submit the Language Ability Declaration at least one week before the first day of the semester you are enrolling in.

Not taking a language course as part of the BA, CertLang or DipLang?

Please consult with your faculty to ensure the course is permitted as part of your programme of study.

Regulations regarding enrolment in language courses